S/S Prop

showem

Cadet
Are there any benefits to changing out your prop to stainless? I just purchased a stingray cuddy 225 CR, has the 4.3 volvo f/i 225 hp. If so what is the cost? Thanks in advamce

agallant80

Commander
Re: S/S Prop

A SS prop is going to run $400+ As for the benefits the big one I noticed was the aluminium prop would break if anything touched it SS is much stronger.

Im sure others will chime in with things about less flex, going down in pitch and damage that can be caused because the prop does not give.

alldodge

Staff member

^^+1, and will add, SS props provide less resistance going through the water because they are thinner. While being thinner they are also heavier. If you leave the boat in the water and connected to shore power, galvanic corrosion can increase with a SS as compared to aluminum. There is less flex as Agallant mentioned but this is only when you have enough HP to be able to flex an aluminum prop which a 225 would have negligible effect

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are two reasons, IMHO, to go with Stainless Steel. First, you can often get higher performance SS props than al props. If you are willing to pay $300+ more for that SS performance, then it is worth it.

Secondly, if you hit bottom often, say sand, mud and gravel, an aluminum prop will just not hold up. Hitting rocks with a SS prop can be worse than an aluminum prop for the gears.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes a 225hp motor will take advantage of a ss prop. I dont know what else to tell you other than the boat is 2500lbs being pushed on water in excess of 40 mph that is a very excessive load to excessive for a alum prop to compete against a SS prop. NOw as to the rest carry on lots of opinion's...ohhh both Solas and Stilletto props are here @ iboat's for 300 and there amoung the very best prop's avaible for our little runabout's.

walleyehed

Admiral

Alum is real good if you plan on spending 99% of your time at or near idle, putting around...If you spend 30-60k on a boat to go when you want it to go and want it to go good, chuck the aluminum and spend what it takes to fill the tank twice and find a good, high quality SS prop. If you hit rocks or steel at any significant rpm, it doesn't matter what material the prop is made out of...you'll bend a prop shaft just as bad with alum as you will SS. I know this has been beat with a dead horse but that's what it is.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Lots of advice here, but is it any good??? Don't know.

You need to fill in some info. Start by reading the stickies at the top of the page, and post your current performance, how you use the boat and what you would like to accomplish with a prop change.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Contrary to what was said, aluminum props will stand up to your HP and boat size, at WOT, quite nicely. To suggest otherwise is incorrect.

Those high performance power packages (of which your's is not) can cause a prop hub to fail, without hitting anything.

Now the question is whether you will see a performance increase, going to a SS prop. You may, but it will be because of the design of the prop (more rake, progressive pitch), not intrinsically because of the material it is made of.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Contrary to what was said, aluminum props will stand up to your HP and boat size, at WOT, quite nicely. To suggest otherwise is incorrect.

Those high performance power packages (of which your's is not) can cause a prop hub to fail, without hitting anything.

Now the question is whether you will see a performance increase, going to a SS prop. You may, but it will be because of the design of the prop (more rake, progressive pitch), not intrinsically because of the material it is made of.

And you subcribe to the world is flat theroy....:faint2:

Perception...what a intresting topic

alldodge

Staff member

Don't know why but I'm getting the feeling I should be bowing or genuflecting

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tail, You implied that 4.3L V6 is going to destroy an aluminum prop. I do not believe that, sorry.

My neighbor ran an aluminum prop on his 7.4L BBC/Alpha Drive (330HP). He occasionally would destroy a prop hub, but the blades held up fine. I ran a 4.3lX for years with an aluminum prop. No problems, as long as I didn't hit anything.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes a 225hp motor will take advantage of a ss prop....TG

pushed on water in excess of 40 mph that is a very excessive load to excessive for a alum prop to... "compete"... against a SS prop. TG

Perception yes it does play a very important meaning. And i could see where one could get that percetion....no i dont believe a 100hp engine could destroy a alum prop...maybe fatigue it after time causing stress fracture's intresting point.

Last edited:

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have run all three,ss, aluminum and composite.Imm running an 18ft lund pro v with a 2001 johnson 150. all the same pitch ss was definitly fastest, but no forgiveness, alum was right in the middle but I lost about 6-7 mph. the composite is my favorite to fish in rocky waters as it can take a beating with out damage to my prop shaft and its almost as fast as aluminum, same out of the hole. i have read that ss can be though on lower units

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Aluminum props cost less, will flex and are designed to give before your drive gears do. s/s props cost more, will give you a little more performance and last longer because they are a harder metal, but will cause more damage to the drive if you connect with something really solid. If you want the absolute best performance and operate in safe water than go for the s/s otherwise stay with your aluminum. 350 MPI MAGS come factory with aluminum and do just fine. :D