Rust pictures - Used boat

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at this boat but its a few hours from me and I'm interested in your guys thoughts on these pictures. The current own says it's just surface rust. But I've haven't seen surface rust make bubbles in the paint like that. It looks like it was rusted and just painted over and now the paint is bubbling? What are your guys thoughts? Is it even worth it to drive a few hours to look at it.

vote%20034.jpg

vote%20037.jpg

More pics of the boat in question can be found here

https://picasaweb.google.com/mopowersrt8/Boat?authkey=Gv1sRgCODmoZ-wo7alTQ#

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Rust pictures - Used boat

WOW! That screams NEGLECT! That metal MUST BE replaced.

robert graham

Admiral

Surface rust!..right. Like you said, somebody just sprayed paint right over all that corrosion! Not good!...I'm amazed he'd even try to sell the boat in that condition, then make up some story about "surface rust".

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat was no where near that level of neglect but has still cost me a pretty penny to bring it back from a couple of years of neglect - $2000 boat so far has cost me $4,000 since purchase.

I would not want to do that again; if I seen that I would say thanks and look elsewhere.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

LMAO I love the rusty wrench on the deck..... That boat has sat in a slip for a long time....

marapoint

Cadet

Hi Frozen,
Look like were both newbies to the forum - hearty welcome to you.
Posting the various Pic's was a great move.
I saw a great deal of mold - you may be looking at a complete tear out of the cabin area/carpet + the what appears to be "major" corrosion problem. If it were me, I'd pass.

bobby

nlain

Commander

With that amount of rust I wonder how much rotten wood is in there that will have to be replaced. Like maybe the transom, decks, stringers. Just my thoughts.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

That plate looks like a band-aid fix for a bad transom in the first place. Run away

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

It really looks like the plate was sprayed with that rust converter crap......which never really works anyway.

As said....run away.....fast.

saumon

Lieutenant

From thoses pics, it's clearly a ?homemade? inboard to outboard conversion (transom reinforcement plate bolted, glued or whatever, plywood benches in the splashwell with 1" of caulking, etc.). Stay FAR AWAY from that!
001188.jpg

00949.jpg

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

What's the guy asking for it? If it's cheap enough, that could turn into one nice classic....that is if you are handy doing the work yourself.

I'd use the rust and corrosion as a bargaining chip with the owner....

There's corrosion on the motor too....and that's only what we can see. Lord only knows what's going on inside the motor corrosion wise.

Depending on his price, I'd buy this boat.......though it may take a lot of work and time on your part to get her back to a nice usable state.

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the reply's guys. I was thinking the same thing you guys are. But was hoping for better. He's asking $1800 with a dual axle trailer. I love the classic style but for me this just isn't worth it. I can do all the repairs myself, like I did on my last boat (which I sold for a profit!) Just not looking for that again. Again thanks for all the help really appreciate it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

For $1800.00 he'll be staring at it for a long time unless he can find a real smuck. From the amount of work that is needed I wouldn't give him any more than the value of the trailer as long as it doesn't look like the boat.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Yuk It looks like a labor intensive money pit. If you are into a huge challenge, maybe. Is that a big hole in the transom, lower stbd side, filled with silicon sealant? I would sure suspect major structural, hull damage, has the engine had recent work, and proof of it? I would think $500.00 would be on the high end value,, if that .........

Brewman61

Ensign

In the immortal words of Monty Python,

"RUN AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Offer to haul it away for free. Accept the trailer as payment for helping him get rid of the boat.[if he has clear titles to both]

NYBo

Admiral

I was going to ask how much he was offering to pay you for disposing of it.:eek:

In the immortal words of Monty Python,

"RUN AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"
Um, that would be Arthur, King of the Britons!
HolyGrail072.jpg

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Surface rust, my aunt Fanny! That is serious corrosion! I spent many years as a painting contractor specializing in waste water treatment plants, copper refineries, etc. and I can assure you that the "surface rust" on that piece of metal goes all the way through or very nearly so. Hit that with a chipping hammer and I strongly suspect that the whole thing would simply crumble away to a pile of rust. If he tried to hide that with some black paint what else is he hiding? Run, run, run, away from that one unless, as others have said, he is willing to give it to you along with gas money for hauling it off.