Rust and trailer Winch questions

jlcalbre

Cadet
I'm looking at a used ski nautique trailer. There are 2 dime sized spots on the frame where the it is rusted all the way through. The surrounding area seems to be in solid shape. How big of a concern is that? Can it be fixed easily?

Also, instead of a normal winch post, it has a tall post that has a sort of turnbuckle that attaches to the bow eye and a padded "bracket" that catches the point of the bow. I would like to put awinch on this but it would have to be mounted vertically (with the bolt holes on the side instead of on the bottom). Any problem with that?

Thanks.

Shizzy

Ensign
Re: Rust and trailer Winch questions

I would go all around that trailer smacking it every few inches with a ball peen hammer. listen for a dull thud sound instead of a nice ring.

where on the trailer are the holes? In all honesty I would walk away from it.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Is the rest of the trailer rusty metal as well, just solid? Unless the oem paint is all intact, I would be concerned about what you can't see.

Used trailers don't sell for a lot usually anyway, so unless it is stupid-cheap, I would keep looking. I am not putting anyone down, but if you need ask this question, you probably don't have the skills to repair the issue yourself either, and good welding is costly. Your money is better spent on something you can be sure of.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you looking for an inboard trailer? how much does the seller want for it? is it tandem or single axel? where are the rust throughs? provide some more info and we will be better able to help or photos are even better. Were the holes burned in then got rusted edges or are they clearly rust throughs. Usually if its rusted through there will be plenty of other cancer on it as well. Some of the older inboard trailers were set up that way with the locking post and two 10x16(approx) bow pads. Does it have guide ons in the back. Look at some of the thinner metal parts of the trailer are they rusted up(like fenders, light mounts, licence plate holder, up and around coupler etc) Lastly what kind of boat are you going to put on it?

jlcalbre

Cadet

I am looking for an inboard trailer for a 1990 Ski Supreme. The trailer is a single axle but has a braking system. The guy is asking $300 for it with lights, tires, and bearings. He just moved to a lake house and will have his boat on the lift so he doesn't need the trailer anymore.

The holes seem to be rust throughs, not any kind of pre-drilled hole that began to rust out. One is on the corner of the tube about halfway back and the other is on the side of the tube about four feet up from the first one. The rest of the frame and tongue seems to be in pretty good shape with the factory paint still intact. The fenders are OK but the surrounding step frames (thin metal) have a lot of rust from where there was carpet wrapped plywood on top of them. The prop guard and cross members seem to be in good shape.

Used trailers in general seem to be easy to come by but used inboard trailers seem to be impossible. I have been on Craigslist alll over the east coast for 6 months and this is only the second one to come up, as well as looking all over the internet. Any resources anyone can suggest would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only problem with rust is if you can see it in a few spots, you will see it more in more spots in short order. Rust on trailers normally occurs from the inside out. Once you see it on the outside, it generally means there is a lot more going on inside. Believe me -- I live in the rust belt of the midwest and watched cars disintigrate while waiting at a traffic light. Not so bad anymore but back in the day it was not a pretty sight.

Shizzy

Ensign

I am looking for an inboard trailer for a 1990 Ski Supreme. The trailer is a single axle but has a braking system. The guy is asking $300 for it with lights, tires, and bearings. He just moved to a lake house and will have his boat on the lift so he doesn't need the trailer anymore.

The holes seem to be rust throughs, not any kind of pre-drilled hole that began to rust out. One is on the corner of the tube about halfway back and the other is on the side of the tube about four feet up from the first one. The rest of the frame and tongue seems to be in pretty good shape with the factory paint still intact. The fenders are OK but the surrounding step frames (thin metal) have a lot of rust from where there was carpet wrapped plywood on top of them. The prop guard and cross members seem to be in good shape.

Used trailers in general seem to be easy to come by but used inboard trailers seem to be impossible. I have been on Craigslist alll over the east coast for 6 months and this is only the second one to come up, as well as looking all over the internet. Any resources anyone can suggest would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.
when you say tube, are you just talking about the crossmembers that go between the frame rails? again, the ball peen hammer test is in order. If its just a rusted crossmember and the frame rails are solid, it MIGHT be worth the effort to fix up.

jlcalbre

Cadet

I meant the frame rail. The main frame rails are tubular steel hence the term "tube". I also meant to say the trailer has NEW lights tires and bearings.

Shizzy

Ensign

if the main frame rails have rust holes in them, I would walk away.