Runs on Ether but conks out

stusugg

Cadet
I just got a used Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke with electric start that hasn't run in 3 years, but was used very little by it's previous owner. I cleaned the spark plugs, cleaned the float in the carb (where there was some syrup), changed the gas and check the oil. It runs, but only on ether I shoot into the air-intake. Any suggestions?

stusugg

Cadet
Re: Runs on Ether but conks out

Thanks for the quick reply. I did clean it once, but this time I'm going to get a parts washer and let it soak. Do you know if it's ok to let the O rings and gaskets soak as well?

mjbrueck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll need to pull off the carb and THOROUGHLY clean it. I bought one (Merc 9.9 4stroke) that wasn't used for one year and it was so gunked up it barely ran.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

sometimes you will get swelling of rubber parts in parts washer. make sure to remove the idle jet. you should be able to see through it, as small a passage as it is.

stusugg

Cadet

I've got the carborator apart and in the part washer with the idle jet out. My only concern now is the plastic float valve. That won't get damaged if I let it sit in there for a couple of hours will it?

D

DJ

STOP using ether. It will konk out your engine forever.<br /><br />Ether has no lubricating qualities. If anything, use a spray bottle with 50:1 fuel mix.

stusugg

Cadet

I can't say I've tried spraying a gas mixture into the intake, but I'll give it a try.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This is a four stroke, you don't need to use a fuel mixture but it won't hurt anything either. Ether on the other hand washes down the cylinder walls and in excess, can ruin the engine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This is a four stroke, you don't need to use a fuel mixture but it won't hurt anything either. Ether on the other hand washes down the cylinder walls and in excess, can ruin the engine.

stusugg

Cadet

Well, I hope I haven't ruined the engine using the amount of ether I did diagnosing the problem, but you'll all be happy to know that after "dipping" the carb, blowing it out and reassembling it...it ran like a top. Now I just have to get the 1967 Chincoteague Skow in shape. Thanks for your help.