runs but shuts off

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 89 johnson 175. I replaced the powerpack, brand new gas and oil, and new plugs. When I start it, it will run, then shake and sputter, then shut off. Sometimes it will run good for a while, and shut off like you turned the key off. It will either poor water out the prop, or blue and white smoke out the prop. This happens when it's cold. I can't let it run long enough to let it warm up. Also, my starter spring sticks sometimes, and once it locked in and kept going when I let the key off and killed the power. I mainly want it to run first. It's been sitting since November in coastal NC, and who knows how long after that. Can an OMC guru help me out? Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: runs but shuts off

Well dragula...ya' need to start off with the basics. Have ya' done a compresson test on it yet? Need to so ya' can tell what shape the cylinders are in.<br /><br />Take a spark test on each cylinder. Each of the six sparks should jump a 1/2" gap with a hot white spark.<br /><br />When you get it to run, did you try hitting the choke to see if it would continue to run? If it does, time for a carb overhaul. And while yer' messin with the fuel system, check the fuel hoses over for any that have dried out and have become hard. Replace these as they tend to losen at the connections.<br /><br />Check the VRO pump and see if it has the four wire pump on it. Might decide wether or not to replace it if the old style pump. Pricey to replace or just disconnect the oil and mix the gas if it's still working.<br /><br />The bendix spring is easy. Shoot a few drops of WD-40 around the bendix shaft and work the bendix up and down a few times. Should cure the problem.<br /><br />Get a manual for it. Study it and learn the engine. This will pay for itself many times over.<br /><br />Don't hesitate to post any questions you may have. Lottsa wrenches here just itchin' to help.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a book for it. It has a choke in the key. You just press it in, and it starts like that. I was having trouble starting it, then pressed the choke in, and it fired up. It ran for about 30 seconds, sputtered, and shut off. Sometimes when I start it too, it will crank, then just stop. It did this to me a few times, but didn't seem to be too much of a problem. It just didn't want to keep running. Could this mainly be a carb problem? I can't tell if the choke is still on, and when I tried to put it in drive, it would shut off.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If someone can, type in my screen name in the search. I have to other posts about this under powerpack for 175 johnson., or somethin or other. Someone was sayin somethin about sync & link problem in the carbs. Is this far fetched, or somethin lookin into?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If you have the manual, it will give you step by step instructions on doing a sync and link and no it's not far fetched. Are you raising the cold start lever when starting cold? Or is the control a flush mount? If it's a flush mount, you should be pulling out on the handle and giving it some throttle for cold starts. Maybe you are doing the above but don't hurt to ask. What you might want to consider real strongly is to redo the carbs if ya' don't know how long the engine has been setting if the sync and link don't do anything for ya'. I would condider doing them anyway....just my opinion.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a flush mount, built right into the key. I hope your talking about the choke. I have the throttle out, and when I push it in and move it foward the slightest bit, it shut off. I'm going to look into rebuilding the carbs, but I don't want to do it. Oh well, it's getting warmer out, so might as well. But I might try the sync & link first.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I tell all customers that come into my shop to learn all they can about their rigs. May get you off the water some day. So don't be afraid to do the carbs. The carbs are simple and ya' don't have to be a brain surgeon to do them. Just keep the manual close at hand.<br /><br />Good Luck dragula!

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've rebuilt holley carbs and motorcycle carbs before. They weren't hard, but I'm getting the interior completly redone anyway. I personally think it's the carbs. I'll check it out. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted.