Running Rough!

csanna2

Cadet
I have a 1971 Sea Ray with a 140hp mercruiser Ok! This is how it went down. I had my boat running good. I Had a fuel filter that kept losing Its prime, I tried replacing the fuel filter. After that It would start. I soon realized It was the seal on the fuel pump/filter seal was old. took It too the lake It was fine. I hit a big wave and the boat almost came all the way out of the water. After that It was running real bad like It had a bad miss. It still had enough power to get up on plane. But It felt like the outdrive was binding up. I took the engine cover off and checked the fuel filter, spark ect. any Idea's

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Running Rough!

fist, do ya have the carter fuel pump?

I Had a fuel filter that kept losing Its prime
seems to me like that'd be a leak somewhere. be real carefull if it is. fuel leaks can = boom.

replaceing the fuel filter will not stop a leak. the gasket may though. new fuel filters from merc come with a gasket.

comeing out of the water to me is irrelevent. the jar at re entry might shake something loose though..

ya could do a fuel pressure test. ya could replace the fuel filter gasket, ya could try this....http://www.iboats.com/bbboard/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=24;gtid=1107009

have ya done any minor tuneup parts...cap,rotor,plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, adj. dwell and timeing (in that order, adj. dwell, then timeing)......