running out of gas?

gateway

Seaman
I have a quick qestion...I have just got my 4 hp johnson seahorse going and out on the water yesterday, Its has a built in gas tank that holds about a quart of gas. It was a little windy yesterday and I was heading into the wind and the motor ran out of gas after traveling about 1000 yards? can I hook up an external tank to this motor? and will it be harder to do than its worth?<br />All I have is a 12' john boat and me 240lbs.<br />Model # 4w79d<br />thanks,<br />no4njnk

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: running out of gas?

I don't see why not! What type of set-up does it have now? Is it a pressurized tank? Single fuel line to carb?

gateway

Seaman

gravity fed, non pressurized tank, single fuel line to carb.(very basic)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Gravity fed might be a problem, with no fuel pump to pull the fuel in. If you can get a larger tank and mount it high enough, it will work!

gateway

Seaman

Thanks...but, I have no way to mount a tank higher than the motor itself and still be practical for a 12' john boat...I guess i'll just have to keep refueling this thing every 30 minuts.(bummer) why would thay put such a small tank on these **** things if they dont have any range?<br />Thanks for your help,<br />NO4NJNK

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no4njnk, I might suggest to you a heavy plastic tank that is made for a Kubota tractor that I have. It holds 3 gallon and comes with/or order straps that go around it. It has outlet at bottom for gravity feed and you could possibly mount the straps and tank to top of motor. Just a thought. You can go to a local kubota dealer and tell them you need a replacement tank for a 1990 B7100 HST and straps.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, No4Njnk.<br /><br />OMC offered a fuel pump kit for that engine to adapt it to remote tank use. I had one on my 63 3hp.<br /><br />Check a JohnnyRude dealer or NAPA.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

gateway

Seaman

Thanks ya'll...now I have a few options to look at. I still cant believe this tank holds only a quart of gas...its a joke.<br />what if someone wanted to use this motor? LOL!

DMC

Cadet

I remember when I was just a kid, I used to go fishing with my neighbor in his 12' aluminum V hull With 9 1/2 Johnson. It seems we could run all day on a five gallon tank. With plenty to spare. As a matter of fact I can remember when we would carry a couple of gallons down to the boat to top off the tank. The boat seemed to run pretty good with that setup. I would consider a larger motor before I would go to all the trouble of getting a tank rigged. Just carry some extra gas in the meantime.<br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br />DMC