Running out of fuel?/ Fuel pump?

marmon77

Cadet
I have a 1984 Johnson 150 that the VRO has been disabled on. Problem, I prime the motor start it and when it burns all the gas in the carbs it shuts off. Is there a fuel pump on these? I thought they worked off the pulses caused by the motor? Any advise would be great!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Running out of fuel?/ Fuel pump?

Yes, there is a fuel pump, and it is worked by crankcase pulses.<br /><br />Sounds like it has failed. You can overhaul it, you can replace the VRO pump or you can install a non-VRO pump.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Don't forget to make sure you don't have air leaks in the fuel line or connectors anywhere upstream of the pump. Those would have the same effect as a bad pump. That is to say, the pump ends up sucking up air instead of fuel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also make sure the arrow on the primer bulb is pointing toward the motor. at lot of problems have been solved because the buld or hose was hooked up backwards.

marmon77

Cadet

Thanks for the quick responses, I took it to my local out-board shop this A.M., Asled about the non VRO pump but he said it would require two to keep up with the fuel demands. I had already done the other suggestions thanks! I decide to let the mechanic fix it , he was going to make sure none of the rubber from the pump got into the carbs and also make sure the siphone hose on the tank wasn't bad. Thanks guys will let you know how it goes.