Running motor out of the water

Dennis1958

Seaman
Is there any harm in running my motor out of the water as long as Im hooked up to my water source using ears and I see water coming from the pee hole? It is pee hole ...right? ( I hate that term )
I was told only run my motor that way in extreme cases.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Running motor out of the water

It's perfectly fine. Just don't rev it up. Note that it will idle higher by 300-400 RPMs. Also note that a motor that starts and runs great on the muffs can still run crappy when you put it in the water, all because there's no back-pressure on the exhaust.

The scientific term for pee-hole is "overboard water indicator."

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you can, run it in a big trash can full of water.

I see the term "tell-tale" used in most documents and prefer to use it myself. The term "pee hole" makes you sound rather "uninformed" about boating.

Dennis1958

Seaman

Well.. I like the term tell tale myself.. but maybe "pee hole" would better describe my knowledge of boats and motors.. d:)
At this time uninformed better suits me .

I did use a trash can for my 1957 Evinrude but it was smaller....I will give that a try though... I might just buy a bigger one for that purpose.
Thanks

Mark42 said:
If you can, run it in a big trash can full of water.

I see the term "tell-tale" used in most documents and prefer to use it myself. The term "pee hole" makes you sound rather "uninformed" about boating.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I vote for "pee hole" !!!!!

lee d:)

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

When using the muffs on the unit be sure it is correctly positioned. Some muffs hook on, some just slide on. Also turn the water on to the hose before[/b] you start the engine and like previously stated don't rev it too high. Leave the water running until after you turn the engine off.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Water pressure also seems to be an issue with a bigger motor to get it flowing enough through the system. Just pours out of mine in the lake but very little with the muffs. Modded a set of muffs to take 2 hose inlets and that improved things somewhat.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

55 gallon barrel. available for 4 bucks at a local scrap yard. Many industrial companies use them once then send them to be scrapped.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just a reminder: Engine exhaust is hot and with a large engine there is a lot more of it than you may have experienced before with a lower hp engine; hence the water in the 55 gal drum can overheat quite rapidly. With muffs you can run all day.

Mark

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Mark. If you use the barrell keep the hose running into it to cool your source . . .