Running Lights Fuse Keeps Blowing - Any thoughts?

tripwire

Recruit
I have a little single axle trailer that I use to pull my boat. Recently, the fuse for the running lights started to blow on the Suburban. I backed my trailer into the lake without pulling the plug from my Suburban on Memorial Day, and that night on the way home I couldn't get the running lights on the trailer to work. The brake lights and blinkers worked fine. I found when checking that I had no power coming to the pin on the Suburban and traced it back to a blown fuse. I replaced it. The lights then worked. The next time I drove the trailer it blew again. It blew again when I took the boat out yesterday. I checked all the lights when leaving the lake, and they all worked (including the running lights). By the time I got home, the running lights were not working again.

My trailer has the four pin inline connector. I have an adapter that converts it to a round connector that matches up to my Suburban (6 or 8 pins). Does anybody have any ideas about how I can trace out what is causing the fuse to blow?

Thanks!

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Running Lights Fuse Keeps Blowing - Any thoughts?

Check for water in the lights.

then I would check for corrosion in the 7round plug on the truck

Finally start checking wire on the trailer, especially pay attention to areas where the wire either goes into a wire clamp, or in and out of the trailer frame. Look for chafing and a possible short.

Bill

wirickdg

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. I will also check the 4-pin to 6-pin converter. I know that one of the pins on the 4-pin is a bit mangled. Maybe I'll just replace the connect and turn it into a 6-pin on the trailer for simplicity.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got an intermittent short in the running light wiring, either along the trailer, in the tailights, or at the connector. I had a similar problem with my anchor light, which turned out to be a screw that chafed the insulation and boat vibration would short it out occasionally. Unfortunately, the wire was inside a tube and a beast to troubleshoot down to it.