Running cable on the docks

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright so I am looking to get a few opinions on running cable from the club house to the docks-

I do cabling for a living (Fiber, CAT5E, CAT6) as well as virtualization support so I am well versed in technology. However, I am looking to get some opinions on what kind of of amplifiers should be used for Coax, I do not normally do any coax runs in my job however I have been tasked with getting cable out to the members boats for the club-

Cost is not really a big deal, I just want it to work right and last- Clear picture!!!!

What do you guys think?!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Running cable on the docks

Its going to depend on how big a feed your getting from the cable company.
They will probably put an amp/tap in the club house and you do runs from there (do you have the BICS book for coax runs, is there even one?)

Since this is technically outside plant construction you are going to want to use a flooded coax and conectors.

Unless of course you want to build your own head end using a dish?

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to be honest, I am not sure if there is a BICS book for Coax... It's OLD!! We should be running fiber to the docks lol-

I'll see if I can find a copy for it- I am definitely using RG-59 Flooded cable. My plan was to install a 8 port amplifier in the club house and run 8 main cables out to the docks- then split from each of the main cables to the boats using a single 8 port splitter or maybe smaller if I can get away with it. I figure that would keep the attenuation to minimal.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I've always been a copper/fiber guy myself, but coax is great stuff for the information it can carry, and an easy fix/splice.

Before cat 5/6 back in the early 80s we were using that coax stuff for ring routes for lan/token ring, heck I sorta remenber using that flat4 wire shielded cable for wang systems??
IBM type 1 and 2