Running Alpha 2 in a Tub.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

I have a 4.3 with alpha 1 Gen 2 on it. After the first start of the summer (on muffs), I had water in oil, after help from on here, I changed the oil and tried again, still got water in the oil. We assumed it was the manifolds (original batwings), when I took them off I found water in the starboard side cylinders. I pressure tested the block and did compression test in the cylinders and all passed so thinking the manifold theory is correct. My work schedule doesn't let me work on it as much as I like but finally got the new manifolds on. I would like to to get the motor running and finish the rest of the project but all the waterways closed because of the flooding around here. I'm a little gun shy about running on muffs and have since learned it should be a fast idle and not idle, don't keep hose on and engine off ans useprobably a little less flow when I do. I also want to make sure impeller is doing its job and not just being helped by water pressure. I was thinking of using a large rubbermaid style container. I have heard that the drive should stick at least 6" down past the split in the water. I was thinking I can just have the hose running and over flowing the tub to make sure its full of fresh water.

Would this plan work or should I just go back to muffs and if the manifolds were the problem shouldn't get water in the oil.

Thanks

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Doc, I figured muffs shouldn't matter but think I'm gonna try the tub method if I can get it deep enough.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if you cant get the water level ABOVE the pump body that LIES RIGHT BEHIND THE TRIM RAM YOU WILL DAMAGE THE IMPELLER . The pump moves water it dosent suck water

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks Doc, I figured muffs shouldn't matter but think I'm gonna try the tub method if I can get it deep enough.

unless your tub is large enough to get the whole boat in the tub, you cant get the water level high enough.

use the muffs