Run / Tilt Lever positioning

DMontana

Cadet
I have a 1977 Johnson 70hp. Not sure about the run / tilt lever on this thing.
When I have the lever in the run position, the motor is locked in place no matter whether it is in forward or reverse.
When the lever is in the tilt position, the motor swings up no matter what gear its in.
Isn't it supposed to allow the motor to swing up in forward incase I hit something, and lock it down when in reverse?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Run / Tilt Lever positioning

When the mtr is in run position the tilt mechanism is so designed that it will kick up if you hit something.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Correct, it has an automatic release that holds it down in reverse, but will trip and release if you hit something. Don't believe it? Hunker down behind the motor (locked down), grab hold of the lower unit and give a mighty heave-ho yank to the rear. It will make a god-awful bang like you busted something and come on up. You didn't break anything, it was just that bear-trap spring doing it's thing.

DMontana

Cadet

Correct, it has an automatic release that holds it down in reverse, but will trip and release if you hit something. Don't believe it? Hunker down behind the motor (locked down), grab hold of the lower unit and give a mighty heave-ho yank to the rear. It will make a god-awful bang like you busted something and come on up. You didn't break anything, it was just that bear-trap spring doing it's thing.

Ok, I tried this before posting, but I must not have pulled hard enough. I will try again tomarrow. Thank You both!