Run dry impeller

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Run dry impeller

Kind of a strange idea...... saves the impellar which is good since you will need a new motor if you run the motor dry :facepalm:

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I'm trying to order one myself. The material isn't as prone to fly apart in chunks (and kill your motor) and should last years. Expensive, the one for my Alpha 1 is 74.00 and I don't think it comes with gaskets. Most of Globes distributors on their website don't even mention stocking them. I'd like this question answered too!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Kind of a strange idea...... saves the impellar which is good since you will need a new motor if you run the motor dry :facepalm:

pretty sure it is meant for short time periods only. Your motor will be fine running for a minute without water, it won't overheat in that time.

TEutis

Seaman Apprentice

I'm trying to order one myself. The material isn't as prone to fly apart in chunks (and kill your motor) and should last years. Expensive, the one for my Alpha 1 is 74.00 and I don't think it comes with gaskets. Most of Globes distributors on their website don't even mention stocking them. I'd like this question answered too!

Which part number did you order for your alpha 1?

cr2k

Captain

They say they are good for 15 minutes. But in that time you will have fried your exhaust boots from the inside. Maybe even melted your impeller housing.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I could have used that the other day. I needed to just turn the motor over a few times to check the startor. Some may call me over cautious but I put the motor in water just to be safe.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I could have used that the other day. I needed to just turn the motor over a few times to check the startor. Some may call me over cautious but I put the motor in water just to be safe.

Takes seconds to unplug the plug wires...... I still see this leading to bad things and bad habits

robert graham

Admiral

Looks like it's made of some type of neoprene plastic instead of black rubber. If it's really better, wonder why Yamaha, Mercury, Evinrude, etc. haven't used it in their motors? Think I'll just stick with my factory issue impellars for now. Give it a try and let us know how it works!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Takes seconds to unplug the plug wires...... I still see this leading to bad things and bad habits

some ignition systems can be damaged by cranking with wires unplugged.... better to use remote (switch w wires and alligator clips) to jump the starter with the ignition off

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

some ignition systems can be damaged by cranking with wires unplugged.... better to use remote (switch w wires and alligator clips) to jump the starter with the ignition off

beat me to it... Some ignition systems even provide grounding lugs to put the spark plug boots on for just this purpose. But yeah, depending on the type of system, just turning it over even once without the ignition connected to something will fry parts.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

pretty sure it is meant for short time periods only. Your motor will be fine running for a minute without water, it won't overheat in that time.

Agreed. I've scorched a number of impellers (e.g. - debris blocking water intakes) without frying the engine. The impellers will fry long before the engine protection system will shut the engine down. Yes, I watch the water pressure gauge constantly when running in dirty water, but sometimes that isn't even enough to save an impeller over the course of a few months.

I'd be very interested in trying an impeller that was even a LITTLE more durable than the oem.

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like it's made of some type of neoprene plastic instead of black rubber. If it's really better, wonder why Yamaha, Mercury, Evinrude, etc. haven't used it in their motors? Think I'll just stick with my factory issue impellars for now. Give it a try and let us know how it works!

ever heard of repeat business? :))

so did anyone try this impeller yet?

MikDee

Banned

This thread is 3yrs old? and the link does not work anymore.

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This thread is 3yrs old? and the link does not work anymore.

i was looking for information about Globe Run-Dry and all i see are 3+ years old threads ....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Then start a new thread.... It's against forum rules to reply to old threads....

that said, in case nobody beat me to it, WELCOME to IBOATS