Rule 500 Bilge Pump Repair/Replace?

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
have a Rule 500 Automatic Bilge Pump in 18' Starcraft Aluminum Center console. I leave boat in water all summer. Just out the other day & bilge came on and would not turn off. I did wire it to a Auto/Off/On Switch. Due to space constriction I opted for an automatic all in one. It automatically cycles on every few minutes & if doesn't sence water turns off, some type of mercury switch runs it. Is there a repair for this or just have to replace for $60+ ? Pump is about 3 years old. Luckly this made me aware of another problem & pulled boat last nite to inspect (a Rivet popped out). If anyone is considering one of these,, it has never killed my battery & who knows how long it was pumping water from the missing rivet. Had to go back every 4 hours to pump about for about 15 minutes until I could catch right tide to pull boat. All from one missing rivet. Any info on repairing the pump? Is it worth it?

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rule 500 Bilge Pump Repair/Replace?

I've never owned an "automatic" type, but they have a really bad reputation for doing weird things (like yours). I have a standard 1100 GPH pump with a manual old fashion float switch. I think the pump might have been $30 and the switch was about $15. It's a pretty fail safe system, the only thing I can think of that would make it fail is if something jammed under or on top of the float. But you shouldn't have anything rolling around in your bilge anyways. Other advantage is that it doesn't draw anything from your battery unless there is water.

Austin

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Throw away pumps, no repairs.
If you trust it to keep running (I wouldn't) you could always wire in a normal float switch.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

have a Rule 500 Automatic Bilge Pump in 18' Starcraft Aluminum Center console. I leave boat in water all summer. Just out the other day & bilge came on and would not turn off. I did wire it to a Auto/Off/On Switch. Due to space constriction I opted for an automatic all in one. It automatically cycles on every few minutes & if doesn't sence water turns off, some type of mercury switch runs it. Is there a repair for this or just have to replace for $60+ ? Pump is about 3 years old. Luckly this made me aware of another problem & pulled boat last nite to inspect (a Rivet popped out). If anyone is considering one of these,, it has never killed my battery & who knows how long it was pumping water from the missing rivet. Had to go back every 4 hours to pump about for about 15 minutes until I could catch right tide to pull boat. All from one missing rivet. Any info on repairing the pump? Is it worth it?

I have had the 1100 gph automatic pumps in my catamaran for the past 3 years. I like them, but my boat sits on a trailer, not at a slip. I also use a cut off switch when the boat is stored on the trailer, with indicator lights on the dash to remind me to turn them off, or on when at a slip, or on the water.

If I remember correctly, there is a 3 year warranty on the Rule pumps. I had occasion to work with Rule on a problem with one of the pumps and they sent me a new one w/o any hassle.

However, as much as I like my pumps, I wouldn't use one if the boat was stored at a slip just because it does cycle and although it uses very little current, it still uses some, and none is less than some. There can be problems with the lever type activators, but then there can be problems with any bilge pump system. That is why we need constant maintenance on a boat.

If you change your pump. I would suggest going with a larger gph pump, It's the kind of thing that bigger is never too much.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Agreed: It is always better to be able to pump out more water than comes in rather than the other way. Remember: Rule pumps are rated at the pump outlet, NOT at the end of the hose. Flow will be reduced depending upon hose type and diameter and most importantly head. (Height that the water is being pumped to)

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

thanks to all. after doing some additional research I see this apprears to be a common problem. I have an old switch and will get a new pump, probably not Rule. Part of my problem revolves around mounting switch on alumum. I'll probably 3M 5200 a plate onto the hull