Rude wont stay running in forward gear

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys. 72 rude 25hp
My motor wont stay running when I put it in forward, it starts up ok, but then I shift it into forward and it bogs down. the weird part is that it runs ok in reverse:confused:. i think my tank and hose are ok because i tried two different tanks/hoses but it still seems like a fuel delivery problem, maybe a carb issue?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rude wont stay running in forward gear

check your compression and spark on both cylinders. if good rebuild the carbs. you could set idle higher, but that only masks the problem.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks tashas
any ideas where to borrow a comp tester or do i have to buy one:(? I think they're $40-50 right?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Theyre much cheaper now. About 20 bucks at most auto stores. Go for the screw in type, easier to do when ur alone. Just remember to remove all the spark plugs, ground the boots or keep them away from the block, measure one cylinder at a time while cranking it over until the meter "peaks", usually about 5 to 6 cranks. record your findings for future .You're mainly looking for an even reading between cylinders, no more than 10 percent difference.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I just bought a spark tester and a comp tester heres what I found Comp is 120 in both cyl. but the spark is intermittent in the lower cyl, the tester i bought is the gap type it has an "S" and an "E" top cyl sparks the E gap fine the bottom cyl sparks S ok but only sparks E every few cranks.
Great does this mean I need new coils?:mad:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What are the distances of "S" and "E"?? It should jump about 7/16 of an inch with a strong blue ZAP!! Your compression is great.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that the "E" is about 10mm not quite 7/16" Im gonna try it again to make sure

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I tested it again at about 11mm or 7/16" and no spark in lower cyl. Next steps? Coils plug wires? Do I have to remove the flywheel to check coils?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you don't have an inspection plate yes the flywheel has to be removed. use harmonic balancer puller, with #8 hardened bolt 14x20 to go into the flywheel 7/16 inch. regular bolts will strip out. auto parts store has bolts.

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For confirmation, that's 1/4 x 20 bolts. I used about 2 inch bolts, also have 2 1/2 just to make sure. Some say to use 4 inch. Got mine from Lowes, all auto stores Like Auto Zone and Advance Auto had just short #8 bolts.

Also, this is a question for the experts. I couldn't get my 71 9.5 HP to jump 7/16" with a magneto/points setup, after new coils, points, condensors and plug wires. I only could get up to 5/16" jump. I thought Joe Reeves says with magneto ignitions, 1/4" is okay? The CD/breakerless ignitions are supposed to jump 7/16"?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Try switching the coils first before buyin a new one. If the problem follows the coil, then yes you will need a new one.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:mad:Im gettin frustrated with this motor!! I don't think that I am going to have time to fix this thing cause I'm going to school next week. My dad says take it into the shop, but I think thats gonna cost a lot; considering that we've already put some money into it (new gears) i don't even know if its worth it. Arghhh!!

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you don't have an inspection plate yes the flywheel has to be removed. use harmonic balancer puller, with #8 hardened bolt 14x20 to go into the flywheel 7/16 inch. regular bolts will strip out. auto parts store has bolts.
If you pull the flywheel, be careful when you thread the 3 bolts into the flywheel. Like Tashadaddy said, screw them in 7/16". If you screw them in too far, you will need new coils because the screws will damage the coils.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Like Hightrim says...swap the coils and see if the loss of spark changes to the other cylinder...if so you know that coil is bad. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes of your time to do that. Heck of a lot cheaper than taking it to the shop for diagnosis.