Rudder cracks

kipbenson4

Recruit
Hi All,

New to the forum--looks like a great resource. I searched around for some information relating my issue, but to no avail.

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a 1997 380 Carver Santego. The boat is immaculate and the entire life's service record is at my marina. The boat was hauled this week for a survey, and the surveyor found an interesting problem. There are 3-4" cracks on both rudders (described initially as a stress fracture at the interface between the stainless plate and bronze casting). I have yet to see the pictures, but the surveyor is recommending that they be replaced at the end of the season.

The broker (and probably owner) are suggesting that cracks be brazed to prevent further propagation. Obviously we need to work out who pays for what, but does anyone have another opinion about what the best course of action is with regard to the rudders?

Thanks!

BEAFANTOO

Recruit
Re: Rudder cracks

If the person doing the survey stated it would be ok till the end of the season, then it will most likely be good for years to come. They tend to cover there *** to the extreme at times. I too have a stress crack in my port side rudder, I found it 8 years ago......:cool: