Rubber covering over propeller

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I saw a picture of what appeared to be a thick rubber protective guard which was sticking out over the prop----looked like it was designed to protect people from sliding down and getting cut from the propeller.

Anyone ever see one of these or know where I can get one? It was on a Volvo Penta inboard outboard, if that helps.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Rubber covering over propeller

That's a Doel fin or Stingray trim device. It's not there primarily to protect the prop, it's supposed function is to improve planing of the hull. I guess you could look at it as a protective device, but certainly not as effective as a competent captain that shuts his motor off when others are in the water. I personally hate them, and have railed repeatedly on these forums against their use. They are a poor substitute for trim tabs by design. (Here we go, another fin hater thread!) :rolleyes:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As dockwrecker said that isn't a saftey device, they do make a prop gaurd, it is a ring that goes around the prop, ti is designed to keep you from having prop strikes but it should work to keep people from hitting the prop also.

Check here at the iboats store, I am sure they have one.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

is this what your talking about, if so its the trim fin the above where mentioning, and they dont guard the prop in any way as you can see the chip in the lower unit after a bad storm sneaked up on us and blew our boat in a rock ledge at the lake, but they do make for a nice step, if the motor is not runnin of course

Attachments

• P1080942.jpg
    P1080942.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0

etracer68

Ensign

I ALWAYS turn my drive or motor off, and away from the ladder, and tell anyone getting in or out never to step on the drive or motor lower unit, unless they want to end the trip early, and go get stiches.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

is this what your talking about, if so its the trim fin the above where mentioning, and they dont guard the prop in any way as you can see the chip in the lower unit after a bad storm sneaked up on us and blew our boat in a rock ledge at the lake, but they do make for a nice step, if the motor is not runnin of course

Thats a real good way to break your cavitation plate by having people step on it. Also you should NEVER have the engine running with anyone in the water at ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope you don't do this

shrew

Lieutenant

Thats a real good way to break your cavitation plate by having people step on it. Also you should NEVER have the engine running with anyone in the water at ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope you don't do this

I agree with not running while swimmers are in the water, but it would be quite a 'feet' to break the outdrive simply by having someone step on it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

too lazy to go looking for it, but there ARE rubber covers that slip onto individual blades. They are meant for high dollar/racing boats that have some expensive and razor sharp prop blades. iboats store probably has it also, but there is kind of a shaped bag thing that does the same purpose.

i have one of those fins on my outboard. it works great for my 14' boat.i don't have trim on the motor, and no trim tabs so it helps me out quite a bit with getting on a plane quicker and staying on it at low speeds

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

got one too on same boat as yours.....it does plane better at slower speeds to......we both can`t be wrong can we !!!!!
backSmall-1.jpg

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

got one too on same boat as yours.....it does plane better at slower speeds to......we both can`t be wrong can we !!!!!
backSmall-1.jpg

You just haven't tried doing it RIGHT yet...

(edit) And get thee to a prop shop, that thing is BEAT!!!! :eek:

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:)Thanks for all the replies----I know now it is a hydrofoil-----although some say they really arent any good, and some say they are great.
Maybe I`ll try one and see for myself.
Thanks!!!!

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

no we dont swim while the motor is running thats why i posted it makes a nice step if the motor isnt running of course, and if you break the outdrive from stepping on the hdyofoil and the hydrofoil doesnt break first please post me the motor brand so i know not to buy that brand of motor, I ve seen runnabouts runnin wide open acrossed green river lake and hit the sand bar right of the statepark side (if youve been on lake you know which one i am talkin about) come to a dead stop, and they usually come out alright, i am not saying its a substitute for a ladder,