Rubber Chunks in Lower Unit

SPolleyPT

Recruit
I just inherited a '74 Evinrude 9.9 hp with boat. Took it out for a spin and it seemed to work fine, but I'm new to boating so I may not hear/feel if something was wrong. Anyway, on inspection I found a few rubber chunks in the 6 holes in the first section of the lower unit (there are four real holes and two dummy holes). How bad is this, and am I looking at a tear down. Should I be worried?<br />thanks for you help

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rubber Chunks in Lower Unit

This is the water intake to the water pump Maine Boater. It's possible that the chunks you found are bits and pieces of the water pump impeller. Untill you find out, I would really hesitate taking the rig back out although it is possible that the chuncks are left overs from the previous impeller. Finding out requires dropping the lower unit off.<br /><br />If you are new to this, I highly suggest getting a service manual for the engine.<br /><br />Don't hesitate to post if you have any other questions.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rubber Chunks in Lower Unit

Replacing the water pump is a must. I would also replace the gear lube (check for water & use new gaskets on the vent & fill holes) and install a new spark plug.