Rub Rail

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 skeeter ss1 fisherman and the rub rail is falling off. I was wondering how easy it is to access the screws behind the rubber stripping to remove the rub rail and then whether you can easily replace the rubber stripping. thanks.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rub Rail

Hey Merc,<br /><br />Shouldn't be a big problem to replace it - do a search here on "rub rail" and you'll come up with a lot more info than you need. :) <br /><br />Good luck!

rwidman

Lieutenant

As for replacing it, mine came partially out of the track after an unfortunate incident involving a pier and waves. I was unable to get it back in until I came up with the idea of heating it with a heat gun. Just be carefull not to get it or the boat too hot.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help, i'll have to run the search and see what i come up with.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A new roll of the typical vinyl rail insert is about $25 for 50 feet. Pull out what you have on a warm day. Then go around the boat and tighten all the screws holding the aluminum trim on. Good time to straighten any bend or pinched sections of aluminum. The new vinyl insert goes in by pinching it into a U shape and sticking it in the aluminum slot, then release and it expands back to the proper shape. Works better in full sun or with a heat lamp on the vinyl.<br /><br />Did my whole boat in about 4 hours. Man, did my finger tips hurt after that!