Rpms?

valencehsift

Seaman
Ok, first real run out on my first boat. The rpm guage seems to work. I am getting just over 6000 rpm if I want on my 1989 Force 150 which is full throtle but is also red lining. Is this normal and is it ok to run it like that for a while?

Also need advice on changing the speedometer, would love to know my top end as it seems impressive.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rpms?

Force experts out here will tell you all about the max RPM for your motor. 2 strokes thrive on RPM up to the max for the motor in question.
As regards the speed, I have a speedometer on mine but usually go by my hand held GPS. Worth having on board for other obvious reasons as well and is more accurate than most speedometers.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Boat speedometers are pretty much worthless and inaccurate.

For the time, money and effort involved in getting one, you might as well just pick up a cheap handheld gps and be done with it.

As far as rpm go, you are pushing it a bit with that motor.
It is time to change props and get the rpms down where they belong, 5500.

For help in choosing the correct prop, post a question in the prop forum.

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure about the 150, but my 120 force has a max rpm of 5200. Check the ID plate on the motor. It gives the max rpm.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My after market repair manual says 5,000 to 5,500.You should confirm your tach is accurate. Try to beg or borrow a tach. possibly buy a tiny tach about $40 easy to install and may be able to be ordered to work on different motors.