RPM's way down!!

jimmmy

Seaman
Just bought a 1989 Oliver 1650. The boat ran not bad but slow out of the hole. The seller stated that it had the wrong prop on - a 4 blade 23 degree and it should be a 19 degree. Also could only get 3000 RPM max and 27 MPH. Changed the prop to a 19 degree 3 blade. Can now only get 2800 RPM and 28 MPH. It seems to bog down at full throttle and runs better at 3/4 throttle?? In neutral it will rev up to 5000 RPM no problem, but not in gear?? After a long trailer ride to its new home, it now idles rough and stalls at idle. Apparently I'm running last years gas. Carb rebuilt last month and had lots of water and sludge in it. Plugs quite carbonned up so I changed to new ones. After 5 minutes of running they were getting carbonned up again?? Could the RPM / Idle problem be sludge in the tank and filter??

jimmmy

Seaman
Re: RPM's way down!!

Mechanic took off the carb today....lots of water in carb and in tank. What's the easiest way to drain the tank, while the boats in the water??

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The easiest way I know of the empty a tank is throw a lit match in the fill hose. ;) <br /><br />I once used a 1250gph mag-drive pond pump i had laying around. It is perfect because its epoxy sealed and its driven by a electro-magnetic field, so no exploding issues. Only thing is you need one of the $5 primer bulbs to get the pump started though. The pump is a centrifugal style so it has no suction till its primed. I pulled the inlet hose off my fuel pump, hooked up the tubing and primer bulb. Once its was primed, the pump sucked my tank dry in 1.5 minutes, so fast i though the tank would collapse if i hadn't opened the fill plate. You probably dont need to empty your tank this fast(nor did I) but you get the picture. So if you can get your hands on a utilty or pond pump, go for it. <br /><br />On a friends boat that was in his driveway, I used a siphon to empty the tank. Run a long hose over the side of the boat into your container. Just use a primer bulb and your on your way.<br /><br />What do you plan to pump into? A "friend's" boat? A PWC? Have fun!

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is just water in the tank have you thought about just throwing a bottle of dry gas in there?<br /> I had the same problem with my boat and rather then syphon the tank and worry about what to do with 30 gallons of fuel I just put in dry gas and burned all the fuel out that way. It took a weekend to use up all the fuel but at least I had an excuse to get my boat in the water.<br />Just an idea.

jimmmy

Seaman

My mechanic has had a look at the carb and said it was improperly rebuilt last month by the former owners mechanic. It's flooding!! Could this be the cause of me only getting 2800 RPM our of her rather than 4500 RPM???

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yep. but, if u keep revving it to 5000 rpm in neutral u will have more than carb problems. take it easy on that poor engine.

jimmmy

Seaman

Boat is a 89 Oliver 1650 with a 3.0 Litre Merc. The mechanic put the carb back on after repairs and it still won't go over 2800 RPM. He believes there is an exhaust restriction maybe mouse nest from winter??? Does this sound possible??