RPMs too low at WOT

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 V150 XR2. I recently put a new foot on the motor due to losing the gears in my old one. Since I put the new foot on everything has been great. I was turning approximately 5500 RPMs at WOT. Not too long ago I went out on the lake one day and out of nowhere the motor would bog under throttle and die. I limped it back in and changed the water separating fuel filter and put a new inline filter on it. The bogging problem went away.

Ever since then I have been only turning 4500-4800 RPMs at WOT. It won't turn more than that and my top speed is down by about 10mph. I don't think the problem is fuel related because pumping the bulb does not do anything for it. I replaced both fuel filters again too because I noticed a bunch of stuff in the inline filter, but the problem persists.

The day it bogged down on me I tinkered with the throttle cable and it was idling high afterward. I have since corrected the idle problem by correctly adjusting the throttle cable again. The WOT problem persisted.

I have bypassed the oil injection system but don't think that would cause any issues and I don't recall the problem starting immediately after I bypassed it.

I had some problems with the arm on my throttle/shifter due to splines being worn on the shaft where the arm connects to the housing, but I temporarily corrected this by tightening the set screw until I can find a good set of controls to replace mine with. I don't think the controls are the problem, but I am not ruling anything out.

I have been looking for a factory service manual but have not been able to find one for the XR2... not even on ebay.

I am a pretty good automotive mechanic, but I am new to the 2 cycle world.

I suspect a problem with the ignition system, but have not found any fouled plugs and do not have the device to test the power packs. It seems and sounds like a retarded ignition, but I may be completely off of my rocker. I do notice when I go from idle to WOT as it runs up I hear it (not sure of RPMs because I have not watched tach during this) run the revs up and then drop back a few revs before topping out completely.

I did have a repeat of the bogging problem this past Tuesday when I was way out on the lake trolling and a storm started rolling in so I ran it wide open for longer than normal trying to get back to the dock. About 3/4 of the way back to the dock(25-30 min ride total) it started bogging and I had to back off of the throttle to keep it from dying. It died and after re-cranking a couple of times and babying the throttle, I was up and running again.

Any ideas on what/where to look are appreciated! If you know where I can buy a factory service manual without breaking the bank, I'd appreciate that too.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: RPMs too low at WOT

I am a pretty good automotive mechanic, but I am new to the 2 cycle world.

Treat it as a auto.Fuel,air,spark,and compression.If one drops it wont run as it should.

Are you using the same prop as before the lower end change?

j_martin

Admiral

Given the time frame you stated, there's a chance you did some serious mechanical damage when it leaned out. That 2 stroke runs about a 2 million BTUH fire inside it at WOT. It don't like lean, and can grenade in seconds when starved.

Check compression first.
Check for spark on all 6
Check for cylinder strength by disconnecting one spark wire at a time while idling on the cuff.

Then 'cause ya been messing with the throttle (timing) arm, check your timing and link and sync.

Put a 10 lb gauge on and check the fuel pressure under all conditions. Find and fix the fault if it goes below 1 lb at any time. Should be about 5 most of the time.

If good, go through all the carbs, and look for a small passage plugged by the same gunk that caused the original problem.

Go get a manual from your mercury dealer. would be about 30 bucks or so. It's a hellova lot cheaper than grenading a power head by guessing at an adjustment. Alternatively, look up the part number for the manual on the parts list for your engine at a site like mercruiserparts.com (they have outboard parts) and then scan eBay and craigslist for one.

hope it helps
John

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice

cell: I am using the same prop.

j_martin:I just checked compression this morning. All is good, so hopefully nothing is grenaded. With engine cold, all checked out to 100-110psi. It is the exact same as it was when I bought the thing a few months ago (and problem was not happening then).

I have Clymer's manual and will do lync-n-sync procedure per that manual. If I have to, I will pay the $70-$80 for factory service manual from Mercury parts dealer. I just hoped to not have to since this was older motor, so I figured there would be other used sources.

I checked for spark on all 6 awhile back when this first happened, but I will check it again.

If I disconnect a plug while it is idling on the cuffs, I should hear it stumble, correct? If it does not stumble, I have a bad plug/coil/etc... correct?

I just purchased a cheap-o fuel pressure gauge from the auto parts store and plan to plumb this in at the fitting that connects to the motor so I can look back at it to verify fuel pressure.

Thanks for the help.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the carbs have some kind of debris.Or the fuel pump.Check them out before messing with important things.Your fuel filter had debris in it,sounds like that to me.

Searay 150merc

Seaman Apprentice

My boat was running the same way. Rebuilt carbs and fuel pump. fixed the problem.

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice

I was doing some more experimentation today and I was able to determine a couple of things.

1. I used a timing light and checked all cylinders with it on the cuffs and I am getting fire on all cylinders.
2. When I unhooked each spark plug with it idling on the cuffs I heard the engine run rougher except on cylinders 4 and 5. Cylinder 4 is on one side of the motor and cylinder 5 is on the other. I am thinking this does not mean that there is a problem with the power packs.

I am also thinking that since I am getting some spark on these cylinders, it is not stator/rectifier.

This looks like a coil problem. My Clymers manual states that I need a DVA meter to test the coil. Is this correct? I can not just test for resistance across primary and secondary windings like on an automotive coil?

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Until reading the last post, I would have stressed the fuel system from fuel tank to carbs. But you may be on to something with two cylinders maybe not firing. If that becomes a dead end, go back to examining the fuel system with possible carb overhaul.