rpm gage problem

Stings

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 21' reinell with a mercruiser 140. outdrive is a alpha R drive. i assume they are both 1981 sense the boat is a 1981. i think my RPM gage is wrong, when idle it reads 200 rpm and in and out of gear. at WOT it wont go over 1500 rpm. the boat has good take off and moves at about 28 mph. it also planes out great. my volt gage dont show up anything either. i checked the fuses and they are all good. i also checked for lose wires but found none. anyone have any ideas where to start looking and what steps i should take?

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
Re: rpm gage problem

ur tach connection is on the negative side of the coil.[minus - ]u could try a hand held there and see if the results r more realistic.

jlj

Cadet

Check for a 90 amp fuse between the alternator and the bendix of the starter. (probably located on the bendix itself) That fuse may have blown causing the battery gauge failure.

Stings

Seaman Apprentice

Ill check that out first thing on the morning, before the fishing trip. thanks for the fast response guys. this site is great.

flashback

Captain

Don,t know too much about it but have heard that many of the tachs have a setting on them for different engines (4cyl,6cyl,8cyl) may want to check for that ...........good luck..........

Stings

Seaman Apprentice

i went out and took a look at the fuse, its on a purple wire off the alternator but it checked out OK with the continuity tester. so im still not sure whats next on the volt gage side of my problem. i have to check with friend and see if he has a rpm gage i can use to check the other problem.