Rotten Floor Help

asbennett

Seaman
Hi everyone - I just acquired a 1979 Steurn 14' Tri Hull boat with a 55HP Chrysler outboard. I am going to use it to practice remodling the boat. The center section has a rotten spot in the floor. It is about 8" wide by 3 feet long. How should I repair this? Cover entire floor with treated wood and then carpet? (Only issue with this is getting the curves cut in the wood to match. Cover just the bad spot? Use something other than wood? Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks!

blipship

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Rotten Floor Help

If you have rot on the boat the first thing you need to do is get it out. Its like cancer and will spread until removed. Also, you may want to check the stringers to make sure the rot hasn't spread any further. Good luck..

delta breeze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Rotten Floor Help

The first thing you should look at with the type of boat you have,is the cost factor.What kinda shape is the engine in,Remember it is a old Chrysler.If you want to make through a season i'd say cover it up.The way to properly repair it is to completely remove it as blip described.The final cost with you doing the labor and all the glass work it is a minimum of 350$.Thats for resin glass and wood .I've repaired quite a few floors in various boats,But the cost of the repairs added to the cost of the boat and the profit made was worth it.How does the engine run the older chryslers do not have a very good reputation,but there always an exception to the rule.I have one at the bottom of a river just had enough of it.Well good luck and keep us posted. <br /><br /> the Delta Breeze