Rotating the armature base to its full spark position

Jake12

Cadet
Trying to set engine sychronization and linkage adjustments. The last step is "Manually rotate the armature base to its full spark position". I know what it means but not sure how I find that position. How do I know if/when it is in "full spark position".<br />Thanks,<br />Jake

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rotating the armature base to its full spark position

I dunno what motor you're working on. I'm familiar with the old capacitor-discharge-and points system, but I imagine modern stuff it very similar in the basics.<br />Watching the armeture base as you advance the throttle you will see that it rotates counter-clockwise. It should keep rotating counter-clockwise (smoothly) until a cam on the bottom of the armeture plate bumps up against an obviously intended obstruction. Usually this is the top half of the "shift lock" lever. You need to be in "forward" to get the plate to rotate to its full forward potential. In "neutral" the shift lock lever interferes with the plate's rotation too soon. That's to keep folks from opening the throttle too far in neutral and experiencing about 10,000 RPM and then a big bang and schrapnel.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Your 1970 40's magneto plate has a very definate stop for full advance. You should be able to get there simply by advancing the throttle to Full. itstippy is right about the motor having to be in Fwd when you do this. Once it's fully advanced, you want to position the stop on the link rod to the carb so that the butterfly is flat horizontal.<br /><br />Hey itstippy, I'm in your neighborhood. My son is at UW hospital with a bad asthma attack. He got MedFlight'd here yesterday. There are two internet terminals in the waiting room. Thisonehasabadspacebaronthekeyboard. ;) He's improving. :)

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear your son has such serious asthma. UW Hospital is topnotch. Sounds like they could use a new keyboard in the waiting room, though.<br />It's getting light enough and warm enough outside to start my Sunday routine of Zipstripping old paint off a 1960's runabout. I bought the thing this Spring for the 1963 40HP SuperSeahorse that was on it. My intention was to Sawzall the boat and haul it to the dump, flatbed the trailer, part out the 40HP to learn how they tick and make some $ on eBay. Simple plan. I made the mistake of parking it in front of the house where I could see it, so of course now it's a project boat. It's been painted 8-10 times with a rainbow of colors including a nice heavy brushed-on topcoat of exterior latex housepaint. I really didn't need another project. I'm now hooked on both the iBoats Johnson/Evinrude Outboards AND the Boat Restoration/Rebuilding forums. Partially restored SuperSeahorse hanging in the garage like a deer carcass, old multicolored Hillbilly-looking runabout in front of the house, bleeding $ for parts & supplies, wife gonna kill me. Life is good!

Jake12

Cadet

Thanks to you both. Hang in there Willy. All will be OK. You are added to my prayers.<br />Jake