Rotary Helm Questsion

I have a 2004 Reinell 204 FNS with a 5.0 Volvo Penta setup. Boat runs and drives great. Quick little boat too, might I add. Any ways the boat is a PITA to steer when in the No-Wake Zone:facepalm:. I finally traced the problem down to the rotary helm. You can turn the steering wheel 3-4 inches without moving the cable at all. I looked over the rotary helm and can not find a part number to save my life. Its the type that has a pin that holds the cable in place. I have looked and looked for information on this and have come up empty handed. I hope some one will be able to help me out. I did find this unit online, but I'm unsure if it will fit my boat.
http://www.iboats.com/Quick-Connect...53904772--**********.044372680--view_id.64847
I'm wondering if this part is a widely used part on multiple makes and models of boats, and will indeed fit my boat. Any help that some one could give me would really help.:D

Re: Rotary Helm Questsion

Hey there and welcome to iBoats. I am not sure that replacing the steering helm will solve your problem. Since your boat is a 2004 your rotary steering helm should be just fine. Most boats have some meandering when operated at low speeds. Some are severe. I think that your hull design lends itself to this excessive wondering, especially if it handles fine when under speed. Sorry but you might be stuck with this problem.

Hey there and welcome to iBoats. I am not sure that replacing the steering helm will solve your problem. Since your boat is a 2004 your rotary steering helm should be just fine. Most boats have some meandering when operated at low speeds. Some are severe. I think that your hull design lends itself to this excessive wondering, especially if it handles fine when under speed. Sorry but you might be stuck with this problem.

I understand the concept of different pressures being applied to the hull causing the boat to turn which is part of the problem. However, when I grab the prop and lower unit I can swing it back and forth several inches before any movement is seen in the steering wheel. When I crawl under the rotary helm and have some one turn the steering wheel, wheel turns 3-4 inches without ever moving the cable. I don't think this is right.

You know another thing to try if you had a broken tooth on the helm gear that was causing the play. You could pull out the cable from the helm rotate the steering wheel 180 degrees and re-insert the cable. That would put the bad spot on the gear on the opposite side from where it is now and keep all good teeth in contact with steering cable. Only down side might be that your steering wheel would not be straight when you are going striaght.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually a cable change is all you need and you'll find info written on the end of the cable either at the motor end or helm end.

Ok thanks guys. I'm going to pull the cable out after work and inspect it. I'll also rotate the rotary helm 180 degrees and re-install the cable. If that takes the play out of the steering, then I'll know I have a broken tooth in the rotary helm.