Roses

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Let me tell you a story about a Rose.<br />First, here is the background.<br />When I first got interested in horticulture, I took a job as a lowly paid gardener at New Farm Park, Brisbane. <br />It was a 40 acre park, not an ornamental one, but one for the publics use. It also had approx 10,000 roses. So our main task was caring for roses and maintaining grassed areas for public recreation.<br />I took an immediate interest in Roses. After a while I became the Ganger (in charge).<br />Now for the story about the Rose.<br />I believe the most beautiful Rose is called "Peace". It could be described as yellow (but a little different - beautifully different, and scented).<br />The Melan family (rose breeders in France), (actually I believe it was Papa Melan) had bred this rose and it was ready for release just prior to the Germans invading (WW2). <br />Apparantly Papa M. was a friend of an American breeder, and between them, this Rose was taken out of France on the last US Diplomatic flight. The American grew the rose on for Papa M. during the war. He recognised it as one of the most beautiful roses he had ever seen.<br />After WW2, at the first meeting of those who formed the UN, a rose was placed in every attendants room, and it was called "Peace".<br />You probably won't get 'Peace' from a florists, as it could be called an old style hybrid T, and is not popular with florists as it opens (blooms)to quickly, and the bloom is too large. Florists like the modern roses that will hold for weeks in a cold room and arn't bothered if the bloom dosn't open.<br />It is 15yrs since I read the story in the book about the Melan family, so hope my memory is still in-tact.<br />You will find this rose in public rose gardens, and you can buy the plant.<br />In my humble opinion the best red rose is called 'Mr Lincoln', another Melan rose. A massive deep red bloom with probably strongest scent of any rose.<br />Every garden should have one of each.<br />How's that for a bit of useless information.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Roses

One of my daughters has "Peace" in her garden. I will tell her about "Mr. Lincoln".<br /><br />Thanks KP. :)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

JB, if your daughter is interested in Roses, here are a few suggestions for her.<br /><br />Gold Bunny (bright Yellow) and <br /><br />Iceberg (bright white with unusual perfume) are easy to grow and give a great show. They are Floribunder Roses (not one long stem, but many short stems).<br /><br />Iffel Tower is a good Pink (few thorns), (Hybrid T = single long stem).<br /><br />Candy Stripe is just that, striped like a candy stick (hybrid T).<br /><br />Double Delight a double coloured rose (Hybrid T).<br /><br />All are hardy , give good long shows, and although not completely free from pests and fungi, pretty much easy to care for.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Tritton II<br />I gather you must be a rose lover with a house name like that.<br />If so, you'r not a Heritage Rose man are you? <br />At New Farm Park I took an extra interest in the Heritage Section, to the delight of the Heritage Society. <br />Made a point of presenting it well, and even put in Lavender hedges to seperate their area from the rest. It looked pretty good.<br />When a man says he is a Rose gardener, I know he is a special man.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Triton II

Commander

Hi KP, I bought the house already named... but we have heaps of roses and they're about the only thing I haven't managed to kill... but please don't ask what they are - I have no idea!<br />And, yes, I love them - especially the big white ones they have the most perfect scent first thing in the morning. :)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

TritonII<br />If you would like a good light read, there is an old book called "For the Love of a Rose". Can't recall the author, but it is about the Melan family (French rose breeders). It is probably only 100 pages long, but a very nice story, plus you will inderstand a lot about roses. Library may be able to get it.<br />Don't know what your hobbies are, but growing roses is a very pleasant one, one that will may well enjoy to the grave.<br />Cheers <br />phillip