roscoes tilt trim

baboon bum

Seaman Apprentice
roscoe why do you fill your pump when its tilted down i was under the impression to tilt it fully up to relieve it of pressure then fill it up?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: roscoes tilt trim

The unit I have, externally mounted on a '95 Force 70hp, can be opened in either the up or down position. But must be filled when in the lowered position.<br /><br />You are to fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole. But if you do this when it is raised, the hole is horizontal, and you would overfill it.<br /><br />Just doing what it says in my owners manual and shop manual. :) <br /><br />Here is a photo of my tilt and trim pump.<br />Notice the fill hole about 3 inches from the bottom, on the right side.<br /><br />
f942e5a2.jpg

baboon bum

Seaman Apprentice

thats the exact same as mine BUT the pump moter is bolted to the boat so it dont change pitch no matter what tilt state the engine is in the only way the pump moter could end up vertical is if you up ended the actuall boat so im still not sure about yours roscoe do you see where im coming from concerning tilting the engine up to release any pressure in the piston cylinder.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I was told when I got the boat, that it was a "push/pull" motor and pump, whatever that means.<br />That it could be opened with the engine in any position.<br />But that you should only fill it when the trim motor is vertical, to prevent overfilling.<br /><br />I have removed the fill plug when the engine and trim motor were in a partially raised position, no problem.