Roscoe

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Roscoe

Been raising birds for 15 years.<br />Started with cockatiels, moved up to cockatoos.<br />Currently have rosebreested, medium sulfer crested, umbrellas, citrons, and goffin cockatoos. And a few single birds.<br /><br />Used to have african greys, eclectus, amd bare-eyed. Couldn't get them to breed.<br /><br />Shut down the breeders early this year to rearrange cages and give them a break. I needed a break too. Then started working 12 hour days, so they are still shut down. Don't know how I would be able to handfeed the babies while working these hours.<br /><br />Might have to sell them off next year, if I can find the time.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Seems like I maybe heard that before but forgot :rolleyes: <br /><br />Is it more of a hobby or a business...Not my cup of tea but interesting anyhow.<br /><br />When I lived in South Texas it always amazed me to look up and see a big noisy flock of green and yellow headed parrot's flying around. I never got tired of seeing them in the wild.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Started out as a hobby, grew to a small home business, with hopes of expansion.<br />Resent obstacles and setbacks have me reconsidering the whole thing. May have to downsize, back to a hobby.

Ron G

Commander

Is it true parrots are life long pets?and alot of upkeep?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

My buddy has a Blue and Gold Macaw. She is about 27 now and she could possibly live to 80 years old and beyond! :eek: He has a huge cage in the back yard with a built up roof and chain link fence all around.

FSHKPR

Ensign

bred and raised cockatiels for awhile too always wanted to get into the bigger birds but never did. the cockatiels were fun. only have one bird left now. an african grey that i hand fed from about 4 weeks. did not even have feathers when i got her. she is 11 years now. not that bad to take care of just alittle noisy sometimes. she has a pretty big vocabulary. only a couple words which cannot be repeated here. other than that she is a great pet.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Some parrots are more of a maintenance issue than others. Each species or family has their own needs.<br />They are all too often bought as a pet on a whim.<br /><br />They are as intelligent as any cat or dog, and need stimulation and interaction to satisfy their needs and to maintain a relationship with their owner. All need strict guideslines and alternative behaviors when they misbehave. Punishment doesn't work and usually leads to more bad behavior.<br /><br />Lories like a liquid diet, resulting in a messy cage that requires constant washing. Cockatoos have a fine powder that coats their feathers. Some are noisy, some seem aloof, but still need interaction. Some are "one person birds", while many species are very social with strangers.<br /><br />They are not fish, turtles, snakes, rabbits, goats, etc. Parrots need your time. And if they don't get it, they will turn into nasty basterds and bite you !! :)