Rope Length?

cheejudo

Seaman
Hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me the recommended rope lengths and types for Skiing and pulling a 1-2 person tube.

I'm not a pro and don't plan on being in any ski tournaments..

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Rope Length?

Standard ski rope is 75 feet. Not sure what a normal tube rope is, just don't use a ski rope.

cheejudo

Seaman

thanks.. i was looking at some towable ropes and some are "bungee"... is this something that is recommended for tubing?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

60' is pretty typical for a tube rope. I prefer 50'. Having a shorter rope makes the tubes more responsive to swinging outside the wake. I have never used a bungee tube rope.

HollieMac

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think you want to use a bungee rope unless you are a very experienced driver and tuber, unless you want to get rid of your kids/friends. as for length, 75 is standard starter rope, to get you beyond the boat's wake, or out of the rough. But most boats have a sweet spot for skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, and you want to explore that using a segmented ski rope. Shorter ropes are easier to get newbies out and back in, easier to learn towing skills with, just be aware of where that rope is at all times. Shorter ropes allow you more control,you will have less slack, and this also helps newbies and seasoned skiers both. But you want to be riding where your wake is the best for the type of skiing you/they like. If you want to learn wake crossings, or you are towing someone who is likely to pull out and want to try crossing for the first time, you don't want them being at the roost, or the highest part of the wake. Where your roost is changes with speed also.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A 60' rope is great for a tube. Don't use a bungie rope. It needs to be stronger than a ski rope.
75' is standard for skiing with removable sections.
HollieMac has given you good information.

jeffbyrd66

Cadet

If you use the multi section ski rope do you take it apart down to the length you want to use?

oldjeep

Admiral

If you use the multi section ski rope do you take it apart down to the length you want to use?

normally, you just attach it to the boat at the section you want to use. Its a lot easier to do this if you have a pylon (ski boat) In a runabout with a rear ski loop you have to be concerned about where the excess is going, so you need to make sure it is secure or that the section is removed.

In our runabout we have seats beside the engine doghouse, so we just run the excess down between the seat and doghouse - which keeps it from going anywhere.

cheejudo

Seaman

well, haven't heard enough reason not to use a bungee rope.. it sounds like it would be more fun :) so i bought one! Goin to whip some noobs across the lake

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me the recommended rope lengths and types for Skiing and pulling a 1-2 person tube.

I'm not a pro and don't plan on being in any ski tournaments..

60' is fine. 75 works great too but too far to be yelling to when you need to when you need to when stopped.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i think towable ropes need to be 55-75 feet i personally wouldnt go with a bungee coord style its hard enough on your transom mounts/skii pylon then add jerking to it, dont know that i would trust it i have a 60 foot rope and upgraded to bigger boat so my "sweet spot" is accualy 10-15 feet past my last boat and i now need a 75 foot rope because its to hard to tube on

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I see no reason to ever use a bungee type rope. For a ski rope, I always cut'em down from 75' to 50'-55' on a full hulled boat. A pontoon puts out a strange double wake, and you might need to experiment with the length.

As far as using a rope for a tube--use a much heavier rope than a ski rope--preferably 1/2" premium quality rope. We've had a couple of horrendous accidents closeby where tubers' ropes broke, and the teenagers broadsided piers. Someone can double the boat's speed with a tube in a tight turn--and the load on the rope is tremendous. Safety first.

'