Rooster tail is bad?

lmoreau

Seaman
This isn't really merc specific, but..<br /><br />This is my first Trim/Tilt motor...apparently there is a limiter which keeps you from trimming the motor out of the water when running.<br /><br />If I am running and trim up all the way that the motor will allow, there is about a 4 to 5 ft rooster tail that will develop. I assume this leads to prop performance degradation, as at a given RPM I have less speed than if I was trimmed down just before I get rooster tailed. However, it takes less throttle to keep that said rpm...ex 40mph at 4000 vs 36 at 4000, but with less throttle...<br /><br />Which one gives you better MPG, or is it really a coin flip? And is there a trim limiter? What determines it's setting? 150hp XR4.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Rooster tail is bad?

There is a limiter that comes into play at around a 20 degree tilt out angle. If I remember correctly at that point the tilt/trim hydralic pressure is allowed to be overcome by the forward force the prop exerts against it. Pretty simple system....<br /><br />Your performance at 40mph at 4000rpms is best when the rpms are lowest to achieve the same speed. But tilting out near the limit, is only necessary at WOT, in my opinion... That is the point where you will notice the most change in rpm and speed depending on the tilt angle.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rooster tail is bad?

Moving to Outboard Non-repair Discussions.