Rookie Has Used '93 8hp Evinrude, and needs Help

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice
Hi
I could do with a user manual on the above motor, as apart from start the thing I have not got much of a clue about the finer points of operating it.
I have looked for manuals but the only ones that I find are workshop manuals, which I guess don't cover the basics of trimming ,
(Whats the button on the end of the throttle/tiller that screws in and out for example??)

thanks in anticipation

vq

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rookie Has Used '93 8hp Evinrude, and needs Help

That end of the the tiller handle that screws in and out is an idle adjustment. Screw it in and the idle goes up....and vice versa. The red button on the end is the kill switch.....should have a safety key in it with a lanyard.

If you would like an operators manual, search up Ken Cook Co. The sell reprints.

What else?

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice

that's great thanks Jim.
There is something else. I worked out the lanyard bit, but is that the way to kill the engine, by pulling the lanyard out?
Why don't outboards return to idle like motorbikes when you release the twist-grip?
thanks again ......vq

Liverpool UK
Along the Muddy Banks of the Mighty River Mersey
;)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The lanyard is supposed to be clipped to the pilot during operation. If for some reason the pilot goes overboard, the lanyard will pull the safety key out letting the kill switch close to stop the engine.

There is no spring return on the twist grip so, depending on how lose the throttle linkage and stator plate is, the twist grip may not return all the way to idle.

Along the Muddy Banks of the Mighty Riever Mersey.....I like that.....d:)

Vlads Quiff

Seaman Apprentice

I got the hang of the lanyard Jim, but assuming you don't fall out is removing the clip the recognised way of stopping the engine?
I have just googled Ken Cook

regards vq

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

No....you don't have to remove the clip. Just push in on the red button the lanyard is clipped to and the engine will stop.