rolmops! You said Tilapai tasted good??

Link

Rear Admiral
You brought up Tilapia in your thread and I found this recipe and posted it there.<br /><br />Link don't eat no Nasty, stinky, smelly fish! So I cooked two meals. One I could eat and the Tilapia that we found at a local market for Mrs.Link and her mother.<br /> <br />I tried it tonight..<br />You must use fresh fish (dont trust frozen) If you can't find Tilapia fresh, move on and get the next choice for your area (red snapper should work) for around here.<br /><br />This recipe claimed ( they all do ) that even a non-fish eater would love it as there is no fish taste or smell. Hey wake up people we are cooking fish, remember! <br /><br />I will admit that it really did smell good but thats from 2-3 feet away and because of the recipe.<br /><br />After I finished my meal both Mrs.Link and her mom said I should at least try the sauce.. so I agreed and took a little on a spoon (expecting to gag with the fish taste) but it tasted like it smelled! Really good. <br /><br />They then convinced me to try a little (1/8" X 1/8") piece of yucky fish... with the sauce. <br />The flavor changed! <br />For the better! :eek: <br /><br />Tilapia can't be a fish! It's got to be a cut off a cow!<br /><br />After I finished the whole fillet, I reached for the last one and was met with duelling forks by wife and mother in law! Telling me we had to share! :) <br /><br />That was sooo good! :D :D <br />rolemopes <br />I would have Never Ever Thought a FISH could taste that good!<br /><br />I hope you and the rest of our IBOATS gang try this recipe..<br /> <br />INGREDIENTS:<br />4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia (bream) <br />1/4 cup olive oil <br />1/4 cup raspberry vinegar <br />1/4 cup honey <br />1 teaspoon yellow mustard <br />1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed <br /><br />DIRECTIONS:<br />1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 11x7 inch baking dish. <br />2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, raspberry vinegar, honey, mustard and dill weed. <br />3. Arrange the tilapia filets in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Pour mixture over the fish filets, coating the filets evenly. <br />4. Bake in a preheated oven, uncovered for 20 minutes or until fish is flaky with a fork.<br /><br />Yummy! :)

one more cast

Captain
Re: rolmops! You said Tilapai tasted good??

Thanks link, I'm going to give it a try. Always remember... FRESH fish don't stink.<br /> By the way, what is raspberry vinegar and where can i get it?

spratt

Lieutenant

Link, you being from Lakewood, which is not too far from my place, I am gonna take you at your word and go buy some Tilapia...and I will print adn try that recipe. Will let you all know my thoughts on it:)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got a bunch of tilapia living under my dock. I feed them (along with the catfish & bluegills) cheap dogfood a couple times a week.<br /><br />Next time I have relatives to visit we'll have to catch a few & try your recipe. I've had a few before & even without the sauce, tilapia is a great, mild flavored fish!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Glad you enjoyed it.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

It does taste good but it has to be fresh. Someones dock dwellers are about to become excellent table fare.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, at some point I'll have to get a return on my investment in dog food.<br /><br />By the way, anyone ever watch Tilapia around food? The dog food I feed them floats. If they're really hungry they strike fairly hard at first. But then they'll take a piece half way in their mouth and just swim around with it for awhile. Very crafty fish, tough to catch unless they're really hungry.

Link

Rear Admiral

OMC<br />
By the way, what is raspberry vinegar and where can i get it?
I had the same question when looking at the recipe. We were at the commissary at McChord AirForce Base and when we got to the section with vinegar we found 4 different brands of raspberry vinegar! This was new to me. So I would think most major stores would have even a better selection. We went with Regina from Italy because it was the cheapest. :) <br /><br />spratt<br />Yes please do try and report back. But as OMC and 1730V said buy fresh fins only.<br /><br />lakelivin<br />Ive seen fish feed like that before. But the only Tilapia's Ive seen were the fillets in the market and they weren't going no-where! :D <br />Until rolmops mentioned them in a post, I had never even heard of them before. <br /><br />I'm still trying to get used to the idea of me eating Fins! :confused: :eek: