Rollers and brackets?

kcodd

Cadet
The boat is a 17'4" tri hull,and the trailer has 2 12" rollers, 1 in back and 1 middle and 2 6" rollers forward and 1 v stop along with 2 bunk rails.<br /> I need to replace them all and I have spent along time restoring this 71' pipstone mariner it has a mercruiser 140.I/O tri hull runabout.<br />Length is 17.4' and 84" at its widest.<br />My question, stupid as it may be, is I cannot move the boat yet and would like to replace the rollers and brackets as they are split and worn badly. Is there a way to lift the boat in certian places 1 at a time to replace them?<br />I dont know what the boat weighs yet, but a guess might be 1500lbs?<br />Any help would be great!<br /><br /> Thanks in advance<br /> SS......

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rollers and brackets?

I have just replaced the rollers on my trailer (5m boat). I found the best way appeared to be to jack the boat up 50mm from the trailer and insert some pine timber about 50mm thick and 250mm wide down the length of both sides so it sat free of all rollers, but still secure on the trailer. Then I backed the trailer onto a couple of vehicle ramps and secures it there. This way I could work on the rollers about three feet above my head whilst laying on the ground. The rollers being free meant I could get at them all one by one for replacement. It worked well and gave me freedom to check the condition of other accessories as well.<br />Good luck<br />Ross

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I just replaced my rollers yesterday on my trailer. I loosened the winch just a few inches and used a small hydraulic jack with a large 2x10 and lifted the boat in sections. I lifted the bow first so the first roller was a cinch. When I got to the stern I retightened the front winch and removed the tie down straps. All in all I am actually looking forward to launching after I installed all new rollers with grease on the shafts too! :D <br /><br />Bob

kcodd

Cadet

Im worried about where to place the wood to jack it up. What about the keel, will it not mess it up when jacked up even with wood under it?<br /> SS....

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not a problem as long as you jack on the keel, it'll be OK for short periods as long as you place a soft timber between the keel and the jack. I found it Ok lifting my empty boat. I guess if you're very concerned about this then you could use two jacks and lift from one side of the boat so it still sits on the other side on the trailer, you'd need more timber and support but it should work OK.<br />Ross

Alrobot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have access to an engine hoist, this works well. I have my own from years of hot rodding, so I didn't have to rent one.

D

DJ

SSOutlaw,<br /><br />Why don't you just go and launch it? Unless they're really bad. It's alot easier to replace them with no boat on the trailer.<br /><br />Back the trialer into the water a little further than normal so the boat will float off.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I pulled my trailer from under a 14' trihull, I lowered the trailer tongue with the jack stand, placed blocks under the corners at the stern. Then when I raised the jack stand, the back of the boat raised off the trailer. Then after raising the jack stand, I could block the front of the boat up on a 4 x 4 timber. After alternating raising and lowering the jack stand a couple of times, I had sufficient clearance to pull the trailer out from under a stable boat.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cool idea :D Make use of the trailer itself! Sounds like a good solution for my need to replace the bow stop. Raise the trailer, block the bow and let the jack stand down enough to replace the stop. Ain't this board great!!!<br /><br />BL...