Roller motor vs. Non roller motor

Hey guys. I am having a problem getting my fuel pump to work. What I was wondering is, my new engine is a non roller motor, the original was a roller motor. Would this have anything to do with the fuel pump not working. Is the arm that ride inside the engine different on a non roller setup? Is there any was to test to see if my pump is working or if I have some other problem. I am getting zero fuel to the pump itself. All lines , hoses are clear, I stuck my lips on the end of the hose when I turn the motor over and feel just a very little bit of suction. Should there be a heavy suction when the pump is engaging? Thanks for your help once again ;)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Roller motor vs. Non roller motor

Ayuh,....
The fuelpump should be able to be Felt, by your finger...

Did you put the fuelpump Pushrod in the new block,..??..??

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

On the lines of Bondos post. When I repowered I had to remove the fuel pump rod from the original engine and install it in the reman.

Ayuh,....
The fuelpump should be able to be Felt, by your finger...

Did you put the fuelpump Pushrod in the new block,..??..??

Yeah.. there is a little barrell that Im assuming pushes on the pump arm.. When I turn the engine over, I can feel just a slight suction only if I put the hose up to my lips.. with my finger.. I feel nothing.. do you think the pump is bad?

John_S

Rear Admiral

There is a approx 5" rod that goes up into the block and rides on a lobe of the cam, to provide the pumping action. While there is a difference in the rod for roller and non-roller, I believe it is just the tip. On a roller cam, which is steel, requires a rod with a tip to prevent lobe wear.

This rod is hard to keep in place, such that it doesn't fall down during pump install. Wipe the oil off of it, and coat it with greese. That will hold it up in the block. Note, the plate the pump mounts to, will need to be removed to do that.

Ok.. then I have installed it correctly. Do I have to pour fuel down the lines or into the carb or something to get the pump to start pumping? Im getting absolutely no fuel to the pump.. what am I doing wrong???

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

There is a pipe plug fitting in the block just below the pump mounting boss that must be taken out to remove or install the pump drive rod. The fuel pump is self priming......if in fact the correct rod is in place........sounds as though your pump is bad.