Roll-N-Go Boat "ramp"

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live along a waterway and have a floating dock I keep my boat at. I have been looking at ways to get the boat out of the water easily without going to the ramp. I have seen home made versions of the Roll-N-Go Roll-N-Go thing out at the coast. Since $800 seems a little bit steep for a glorified trailer without wheels, has anyone built anything like this before? I have been toying with some designs and have been trying to devise a way to winch it all the way onto the trailer. I have plenty of space next to my dock that I could use this and the slope is pretty good. I would build a real ramp, but I don't think I could get the permits approved for it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Roll-N-Go Boat "ramp"

Dig a hole for the tires and axle, and park your trailer right there. <br /><br />No expense, quickly removed, gotta store the trailer someplace anyway.

phatmanmike

Captain

i like roscoes approach, buy a cheap trailer from the paper with shot out wheel and stuff, cut off the springs and axles and there ya go!<br /><br />i see these all the time on the rivers around here, people always use 4x8's with carpet and there ya go

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is what I have done when boating at Trinity Lake in Northern California. Trinity has that red clay dirt and it stains everything, so to keep that to a minimum the first few times I put carpet down, but that didn't stop it, so I started to launch the boat with the trailer connected to it and put the trailer on the shore and put the obat on the trailer, on the shore. That way, most of the boat was out of the water and I didn't have to worry about the wind swinging the stern around and possibly bumping another boat or wakes getting water inside the boat, or bears climbing in and swamping it (Which has happened), mine was the only one out of 8 in that general area that didn't get full of water. <br /><br />It's funny, I tried the carpet on the shore in 1990, and in 98, there was carpet strips all over the shoreline at this lake. After the bear swamping the boats on the beach, several people are bringing their trailers from the boat ramp around to the beach under the boat, cause there is no way to get the trailer from the campground to the water without cutting down a few trees, and the Sheriff doesn't have a sense of hummor about doing that.<br /><br />Craig

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So, they drive around the lake with the trailer attached to their boat? If it works, do it. ;)

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice

Take a look at this website for a similar idea but at less cost: rampmaster.org It might be worth it for ideas on building your own system.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Driftwood , thanks for that site. That is exactly what I'm looking for. That will look good nin my back yard. Since they are drawing down the lake I'm connected to, the water levels are very low right now, so it's a perfect time to work on this. I'll post some pics after I get the thing built.

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My dad had a contraption he designed for storing a boat on Lake Gaston similar to the Roll-N-GO. However, he just put treated timbers down to the water, and electric winched the entire trailer down to the water and back. Very cheap and you can get the boat farther from the water. :)

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Another option is something I've been using for sometime. I used to do a lot of beach launching in soft sand and there was never a boat ramp around. All you do is get a roll of chain link fencing. Tack the one end into the ground way up on the bank, then roll the rest down to the water. It gives you the hard surface and the traction of a concrete ramp but its totally portable. When your done, just roll it back up.<br /><br />Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but its an option depending on how frequently you want to pull the boat from the water.<br /><br />Nav :cool: