Role Call for Southern New England

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where do you boat and what do you float in?

For my Family, 2007 Monterey 250CR with a Volvo 5.7 GI-F with Pents DP. We float in fresh and salt water. Long pond in Lake ville Ma. Sebago lake in Me. Oh yes Lake George NY. Rangeley Lake in Me. Finger lakes in upstate NY.

For salt water Narragansett Bay, Elizabeth Islands, Martha's Vineyard, Casco Bay, Cape Cod bay.

We put about 125hrs a year on the motor and cover 3-7 thousand miles on the trailer. We are boating 3-4 days a week, many times overnight. Wife and kids always on board.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Role Call for Southern New England

LOL.. No one in New England seems to be boating. Kind of sad.

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny about the no one boats in New England, I know when I first got my 1978 Starcraft 16' SS two years ago I looked on this site about places to boat, and didn't find much.

I boat in the CT River mostly, near Old Saybrook, put in around there and go 15-20 miles up river and then back, I haven't ventured out into the sound yet, but I might on a very calm day.

I do want to try Lake George and maybe the lakes you mentioned up in ME, but as we can't stay overnight on the boat it makes a long trip hard.

TL

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have always wanted to do the Ct River. I just posted for a good ramp and a place to hang out and enjoy the river. You would love Lake George. If you could help me out with Ct River that would be great.

New England is kinda funny about posting.

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Black snow slide ! We seem to got a good group here in N.E ; most maybe still hibernating /:redface: the MFG group has Me , EdC , BHammet and two or three newer people in Fall River and RI . We're more active in our niche due to the exchange of like info on repairs .
Zac103 (of CT) and I did a shout out about a month and a half ago , with no responce . I had suggested Webster lake (1400 ac), near the CT , MA , RI border ; as it is fresh water , has good facilities , has a interesting shape , and is semi- central for N.E. .
Long Pond is in my back yard , Drove over to scout it out last summer , but never got my boat over there . I was also told it's shallow + rocky...is that true ? I'll keep my eyes + binocs looking for you , as I frequent the same waters ! peter

Maybe some of the N.E. people slip under the radar because they don't fill in their location in their header......:rolleyes::D

Last edited:

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Peter

It is shallow and rocky. Most of the time its only 8-10 feet deep. I have an old old map of the lake and I know where the rocks are. It would be fun to hook up and splash. When there is a small craft advisory, Long pond is fun. Ramp can get very busy and early bird gets the worm for parking.

I have done Webster lake a few times. That's another great fun place. Any type of get together, You can count me in.

Ned L

Commander

Here in N.E. CT I get out on Quaddick lake in Thompson CT some (kind of small - ~ a mile long). I like Fishers Island Sound (great ramp @ Barn Island - no charge). - My boat is a bit unique, 16' Jersey speed skiff (350 cid straight inboard)

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Ned, What it is like making the trip across the sound in your 16ft boat? I did a little image search, as I am not familiar with the jersey speed skiff. I guess I am wondering if I could make the trip across in my 16ft bowrider.

TL

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Ned ! I'll second the Querey by Tlynch99 - how rough is the sound crossing ? I was gonna try the Sag harbor meet last fall but the weather killed it . I've gotten as far as Newport on a good day (from the Taunton river) and am in Buzzards Bay often with my 15'er . My plan was to come out of Naragansett by Watch Hill (refule) , across to Fishers Island and on to Orient point . Dose this sound do-able on a good day ? Oh, cool boat how fast dose it go ? Lets get the flotilla together! peter

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Hey, Crystal lake in Ellington{Trophy trout lake} we troll till end of June then out of Niantic for the rest of the year.
1974 Wellcraft V-20 Steplift Center Console w/ 150 Black Max Mercury........

Ned L

Commander

I've not been across "The Race" to Long Island in my small boat (done it numerous times growing up on my family's large boat). I'm not sure I'd really recommend it in a 15' -16' boat to someone who isn't well experienced & doesn't have a good bit of local knowledge. Even on real nice days Plum gut & area of the race can get pretty sloppy & bumpy when the current is running. I remember crossing when the sound was like a pond, except for the 3' - 5? standing waves in areas.
Fishers Island Sound, Watch Hill, Stonington harbor & the Mystic River are nice areas to poke around. If you can trailer from the Taunton area I'd suggest doing so & dropping in at Barn Island (great ramp), the run from Narragansett Bay (Pt Judith), along the south shore to Watch Hill could turn into a long run if a breeze picks up. Sure you could do it, but faster to run over there with a trailer.
I've had lots of boats & experience on lots more over the years, & even though a Jersey speed skiff is a pretty capable boat when you go easy on the throttle it would be a wet run across the race if a breeze picked up, so although I've thought about the idea, I don't think I'll be doing that.
I grew up on the Jersey shore, on the rivers where speed skiffs were developed; they are a boat that most people either love or hate & I guess I'm sort of in the former category (actually have two of them, an antique wood one & the glass one). The glass one was built in 1969 & raced her first year, the engine is pretty much stock, I figure she'll do around 70. (Out of consideration to others (& such things), because of the dual 3 1/2" straight exausts, etc., I'm careful about where I take it out. - I figure places like the CT River wouldn't be good. lol) You can do a quick search on "Jersey speed skiff"; also there are some decent videos on 'UTube' under both "Jersey speed skiff" & just "speed skiff".

iBrent

Seaman

I boat mostly in central MA, Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Lake Chauncy in Westborough (small, uncrowded, good for wakeboarding, warm water), and occasionally Cochituate in Natick.

This summer I would really like to tour the harbor islands. I'd be interested in any knowledge regarding launch locations and which islands I can tie up on. Any help would be appreciated.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

How is that lake in Worchester? I was looking at it on google earth. Any place to drop the hook and swim? How deep is it? Rocks?

iBrent

Seaman

How is that lake in Worchester? I was looking at it on google earth. Any place to drop the hook and swim? How deep is it? Rocks?

Between I290 and Rt 9 it is really deep (~90ft). South of Rt 9 where all the little islands are are great for swimming/tubing/wakeboarding (until it gets too crowded and unsafe to do so). There are some deep (~40ft) spots, but between the islands usually average 10-20ft. All of the little islands have nice beaches and some have rope swings. Be careful though, as some of them are private islands and have no trespassing posted. There are some rocks in a cove on the east side, and in the middle between some of the islands, but they are well marked. The rest of the bottom is sand/fine rocks.

Parking is plentiful and the ramp is nice. The fee is 8 bucks on weekends in the summer unless you can launch before the guy gets there (usually 9am). Just expect a lot of stupid people, both at the ramp and on the water. Worcester and Shrewsbury police patrol and heavily enforce the speed limit.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwquins.pdf

pduquette

Ensign

Ned L Thanks for the info - kinda what I expected .

iBrent Nice find ! Lake Q looks good !

Everyone - keep the ideas churning !!

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Blu Lunch,

Funny you mention Crystal Lake... I live in Ellington, it's a nice lake for water sports and just relaxing....

I have also boated in Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, it can get pretty wild on the weekends. I went to school in Worcester and the Crew team used that lake to practice on, it was great, nice and long. They always used to "Joke" about needing a tetanus shot if you fell in... but I think they were joking because people swim in it all the time...

Ned L, thanks for the information about "The Race" etc... I guess I'll wait until I get a bigger boat.... The area around Fishers Island does look like a great place to boat. I figure I would be pretty safe with my 16' running around the sheltered side of fishers island??

TL

Ned L

Commander

A 16' boat inside of Fishers Island and Napatree point (Watch Hill) is fine. There are lots of places to explore (Watch Hill, Stonington, Mystic), and some nice beach areas to anchor at (inside of Napatree point & a good size 'sand bar-island' called Sandy Point). Barn Island is pretty much central in the area too (do have to get there fairly early to get easy parking. There is enough protection in that area that if a breeze kicks up you can usually get in the lee of something.

jonesg

Admiral

I boat mostly in central MA, Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Lake Chauncy in Westborough (small, uncrowded, good for wakeboarding, warm water), and occasionally Cochituate in Natick.

This summer I would really like to tour the harbor islands. I'd be interested in any knowledge regarding launch locations and which islands I can tie up on. Any help would be appreciated.

Georges Island has full facilities and the fort to explore.
Get a map, I put in at the Weymouth public ramp for $5, its a good ramp.
Back River boat ramp on Neck street.
Its just off rt 3A after crossing the bridge.
http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/app...oston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area

http://www.mass.gov/czm/coastguide/online/maps/map_weymouth_hingham.pdf

pduquette

Ensign

Floatingwoody - Sebago is on my to-do list ... My thoughts were for a foliage run ...Isn't that 'bout the end of July in ME. ? lol peter