Rodbolt ..New 225 yamaha ??

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Happy New Year Mon !!<br /><br /> Have they now perfected the four stroke yammie?<br /><br />I am updating my 1994 225 SWS but they dont seem to make a 25" shaft anymore in the two stroke model . I am trying to decide between the 200/250 hp, i.e the ox66/EFI model.. got any idea which one would be more fuel efficient on a 24' Proline W/A ? I dont run at full trottle as I do about 4 hours trolling per week.<br /><br />I am not ruling out a 200hp 4 stroke only that we dont have qualified techs. I hear that they are the best and are problem free. What are your views?<br /><br />I have digital gauges. Are they compatible with the ones for the new models?<br /><br />Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rodbolt ..New 225 yamaha ??

hello mon<br /> happy new year.<br /> I just got back from 30 days in venezuela :) :) to the cold<br />they still make a 225 in 25" and the 4 strokes seem to be very good. I still like carbs but they are hard to find. so your stuck with EFI or DFI. DFI (HPDI) sucks. stay away from it . not knowing your fuel quality I would say EFI will be more reliable as well as servicable.<br /> seems the 3.1L blocks are more failure prone than the 2.6L ones. with EFI you will clean the o2 sensor with occasional replacements at 370 a pop . I think in your case I would lean towards a 4-stroke. most the bugs have ben worked out of the 200 and 225 4 strokes. still some throttle return call backs but I have never seen a stuck one cause my customers motors stay coated with excessive amounts of fluid film:) :) nasty stuff but it wont corrode :) .switching to a 4 stroke will most likely require a tach change. if the gauges are pre 1995 they will require adaptors. bite the bulet and update to the new digital gauges. what gauges are you running now?<br /> and if the money is right I will come install it. if you can arrange importing it I know a few dealers that sell at a discount as well.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Rodbolt, kindly elaborate on your experience with the HPDI's. Around here the guys all swear by (not at) them. Or was that just based on the questionable fuel quality in Jamaica?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Dhadley<br /> most the problems we encounter(250,300 excluded) have been when they try to troll at 800-1500 rpm for 4 and 5 hours at a time. for the most part the HPDI has worked ok. they had some bugs but so did everyone else. my big question for wahoo51 is fuel quality. HPDI does not tolerate poor fuel. I delt with some in Venezuela while I was there. that and the cost of parts overseas is outrageous. a racor filter here is 25 dollars or so. in rio chico its 55 dollars and two weeks to get it. no one stocks parts down there.<br />other than the plug fouling when extended trolling the motors seem to work well. but I think for most overseas use they will be to maint intensive.<br />I found it rather difficult to find factory trained techs in venezuela:)<br />but I did place some resume's with some marinas down south :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thanks. I can understand the delima overseas. <br /><br />Do the HPDI's, other than the 250/300, still use a lot of oil?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Dhadley<br /> not so bad now. but still a lot more than the FICHT did.<br /> so far I really have heard nothing good about the 250/300 HPDI other than the sales literature.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Rodbolt. There's a few guys around here that have the 250/300's and really like them. But they're new -- whats not to like? <br /><br />Hope I didnt hijack Wahoo51's thread for too long.

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Rodbolt<br /><br />The quality of gasolene is quite good here,similiar to yours. no problem mon !<br />so the decision has to be between the EFI and the 4 stroke.I am putting the existing 225 up for sale first .Yes I will be buying it from Miami. Any ideas as to obtaining the best deal would be appreciated. I have genuine yamaha guages on the boat now but they are 1994s. guess as you say In will have to bite the bullet and up date them with the new machine.We could work a deal with you coming to instal it. We have some good rum :D . Pity they wont allow it in the mail.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello mon<br /> get some pricing and ill see what some of the local people will do. I know a dealer that has or had a pair of the f225's that had 25 hours on them and the guy traded them in on a pair of HPDI 300's. on a 33 contender he was not happy with his holeshot. somepeople just have to much money I guess. I have a passport and will do most anything to get out of the cold mon.<br /> :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There's a 36 Contender here that got whacked in the hurricane that has a couple of Yamaha 4 strokes. The T-top and all electronics were destroyed. The guy is taking off the 4 strokes and going with new HPDI's too. They're fairly new, if you like I can see what he wants for them.

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

rodbolt, <br />well lets find the engine first and we will see what happens.. thanks

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DHadley<br /><br />Thanks ..I would be interested in one..if they too have not been whacked around. Just that I am accustomed to buying a new one so I know I will get at least 10 years trouble free, HOPEFULLY. The last engine I had was a 200 Jon ocean runner and it lasted 7 years trouble free..but who knows if I get a deal on a good used one,I might just go that route as the price has gone up considerably these days. It just to determine what is considered good. I would not want to get a motor that goes to Bimini every weeekend..<br />Dont rush this guy too hard as I have to sell the existing one first. There might be others. thanks mon