Rod to crankshaft assembly

Cortes165

Seaman
It's getting there but it's been a slow process. <br /><br />My engine parts were not exactly marked perfect when they were disassembled. Out of 4, I have a couple rods that I'm not sure what hole they came out of.<br />The rod brgs sets are marked with cyl #. I think I can tell which way the halves go together just by the color and fine markings (or does it matter what half they are mated with?????).<br />The caps are easily matched to each rod.<br /><br />My biggest concern....Do the rod and the bearing need to go back onto the crank journal from which they came.???? :confused: <br /><br />Since the conrod brg is a needle type, I will guess that it shouldn't matter.<br /><br /> Any comments

Laddies

Banned
Re: Rod to crankshaft assembly

The manual says if you intend to reuse needle bearings to be sure to keep the rods and bearings together and on the same through (cyl.)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats best but not really necessary. As long as the rods have the right caps they and the bearings can go anywhere.

Cortes165

Seaman

Thanks guys........I'm finding lots of little questions trying to put this puzzle together. <br />I wasn't the one who took it apart so these things pop up.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with Dhadley. while I would rather put the bearings back on the same caps its not overly critical as long as they are in good shape and the rods/caps are properly aligned. the last two are overly critical.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oh man! I love the "someone else's puzzle" motors. Always interesting.