Rod repair?

GatorMike

Ensign
I have a couple of old penn reels in my garage that haven't been used for years (like 30 years) I cleaned and oiled the reels and want to put new eyes on the rods so I can give them to my son. I replaced the eyes with new ones and spent my Sunday morning neatly wraping them with thread. I would like to know what to coat the thread with? Glue? Varnish? Some other substance?

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rod repair?

If you want to preserve the color of the thread then you must use a color persertitive. You can use varnish or a two part rod coating. Go to a shop that handles these supplies or order online.

torabuff

Cadet
Re: Rod repair?

I suggest a color preserver only if you<br />used a bright color for the wrap.Its hard to call unless you really say what colors you used and if you double wrapped em. skip the varnish unless you want old school tech and the yellowing after a season in the sun<br />otherwise go with a flex coat 2part rod finish which I use the most or an equivalent product<br />and keep the rod turning as it dries<br />you can also use a lighter to slightly warm the finish after you put it on to remove air bubbles<br />I use an alcohol lamp to have a carbon free flame but the lighter works for a one time deal<br />good luck