Rockfish Fall Migration

New to the board here. Does anyone know why the Stripers come into the Chesapeake Bay during fall migration? I understand they come to the Chesapeake in the spring to spawn ... but why do they instinctually come in the fall? Thanks!

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Rockfish Fall Migration

I think because it gets too COLD up north for the bait fish and the stripers follow. There's a great book about the fall migration called <br />"On the Run : An Angler's Journey Down the Striper Coast" by David DiBenedetto.

I'll have to check out the book ... and your logic seems correct except that there must be something that "draws" the fish into the bay. From what I understand, the Stripers' "wintering-grounds" are off the Carolinas. And I believe they come into the Chesapeake during their migration from the North Atlantic back to their wintering grounds. They could bypass the Chesapeake altogether during this migration but for some reason, they come into the Chesapeake from late October through December and leave for the Carolinas after that. Maybe it is baitfish, maybe it is the warmer water of the Chesapeake ... or some other instinct. Anyone know?

mattttt25

Commander

striper or rockfish are ocean fish. yes, many smaller, young fish (and sometimes some confused larger fish) stay in the bays up and down the east coast, but the vast majority live and die in the oceans.<br /><br />they spawn in the freshwater tributaries found in the bays. so they migrate up the bays and into the rivers in the spring, spawn, and then migrate back out to the ocean and usually head north.<br /><br />in the fall, the population starts to migrate south toward warmer waters. while they migrate, they are feeding more than any other time. they need vast amounts of food to survive the winter. as they pass the bays, they migrate up into them looking for food. since much of the bait fish is still high in the bay, the big boys will take the trip looking to fill up. striper have been known to travel up or down the entire chesapeake bay in close to 24 hrs.<br /><br />so the big boys we are currently searching for are simply passing through, looking for food. great time to try and catch one.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It's bait they are looking for in the Bay although quite a few fish return to over winter also. <br /><br />The bait is schooling up and heading out of the Bay right now and the ocean fish pick up on the bait migration and follow the trail up the Bay to cut them off at the pass. The fish will stay and forage on the bait until it’s gone or the water temps get too cold for them at which time the majority of them will return to the warmer Atlantic waters. The rest of the fish will remain in the Bay to over winter in the deeper holes. Fishing can be very good in the Bay in January and February if you know where to look.<br /><br />Come on Nov.15th