Rocker switch for tilt control

soggybottom

Cadet
I have recently moved my throttle control box. I moved it forward about 7 inches and since then my rocker switch for the power tilt doesn't work anymore. I think I broke a wire or something inside the control box. Has anyone ever had to change a rocker switch on the throttle lever? I am leary of taking the control box apart to get the throttle lever off and then trying to replace the switch.

usedboats4u

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Rocker switch for tilt control

WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT KIND OF THROTTLE BOX YOU ARE WORKING ON ALL I CAN DO IS GIVE YOU GENERAL INFO. MOST BOXES DON'T HAVE TO BE TAKEN APART TO GET THE HANDLE OFF. THEY EITHER HAVE A SCREW IN THE FRONT OF THEM, A SET SCREW AT THE BASE OF THE HANDLE OR A BOLT FROM THE BACK SIDE. ONCE YOU GET THE HANDLE OFF THE TNT SWITCH IS EASY AND SIMPLE TO REPLACE.

soggybottom

Cadet

Many thanks for the reply, Usedboats4u<br /><br />My throttle/control box is OMC and I can't see any screws that would hold the lever on. I haven't taken the control box off from the boat yet and looked at the back. I thought I would get some advise first!

mannyq

Seaman

michaelt,<br />I had a similar problem with the trim switch on my trim controls (twin) where I could not raise the port motor. I removed all the screws and pull the control cover and assembly to completely remove the twin switch assembly. What I found was that one of the 3 conductors within the vinyl protective sleeve for that harness, had a clean break from being pinched against the control base while the sleeve had no damage at all. If you see any unusual kinks in the wire harness (sleeve), you may want to take a closer look.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you decide to dig into the control box I suggest you have an OMC shop manual. Could save you some pain.

soggybottom

Cadet

Thanks for the advise guys! I am going to get a manual first and then see if I can find my screwdriver!