Rochester 2BBL vs. Mercruiser 2BBL on 120 4cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to get rid of the infamous 120hp bog, and would buy a new or rebuilt carb if I knew it would fix it. Does ther Rochester do better than the merc? My bog is worse or better at various times. (Have a 1984, small diameter accel pump)

ron7000

Banned
Re: Rochester 2BBL vs. Mercruiser 2BBL on 120 4cyl

the thing to know about the accelerator pump, in any carb, is it's function is to supply the necessary amount of fuel only when the throttle is rapidly opened. The sudden loss of vacuum prevents the carb from metering fuel and maintaining a good air-fuel ratio, and it leans out and bogs when accelerating until rpms come up enough to give the carb a vacuum signal again.<br /><br />If you accelerate slowly and the engine still bogs, it's not because of the acclerator pump!<br />And adjusting the accelerator pump will never fix the bog under a slow and steady throttle opening.<br /><br />If however you are bogging under somewhat hard acceleration, but not jamming the throttle wide open, then an adjustment to make the accelerator pump shoot more fuel may help alleviate the bog but this is more of a band-aid fix and not getting to the root of the problem.<br /><br />What you need to do is make sure the fuel bowl and the idle and transition circuits in the carb are clean. The transition circuit is what is causing the bog by not supplying enough fuel. The most significant adjustment you can make is adjusting the float to raise the fuel level in the bowl. Raise it just a little and run it, if it doesn't help then raise it a little more. If the engine floods on statup or won't start then you raised it too much. Another cause can be a bad power valve or an incorrect power valve where its opening vacuum is too low. So check and make sure you have the correct one. I don't know if different power valves are available for the Rochester 2b, or mercarb, like they are for Holleys but you may also fix the bog by using the next size up power valve where it opens at a higher vacuum.<br /><br />You can try buying a new carb, if it's a mercarb they are set lean for emissions and will most likely give you the same or worse bog. I have a 2002 3L with a mercarb and it bogged from day 1. I fixed mine mostly by raising the float level.<br />I've also gone from 1.55mm to 1.65mm main jets, and there's only 1 power valve available for mine so I'm stuck with that.<br />I don't think a rochester will do anything better or worse since the mercarb is based off the rochester. If you're dead set on getting a new carb, a weber would be the way to go but are expenive. I considered that route but fortunately figured out mine and saved a lot of money.

Laddies

Banned

Mercrusier had a kit available that would repair that problem years back I don't know if it's still available or not

Trent

Captain

Laddies is correct. Here is the link.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I know my local Napa stocks kits for Mercruiser and rochester carbs..It would be a cheap thing to try before replacing the carb..

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the link, I will check out the accelerator kit. I rebuilt the carb once and changed the pump once, but I don't know if I used that particular pump kit. <br /><br />A mechanic suggested that sometimes the momentary kill switch can be triggered as you accelerate if the linkage is wrong. <br /><br />My bog happens whether you accelerate fast or real slow. Some days it's not bad and some days its horrible. OUsually, once you feather the throttle along and it "catches", you can slam it down no problem.

Trent

Captain

You can also try going up a grade in fuel if your using the cheap stuff. Also you can use a can of Berrymans B12 from Wal Mart or Seafoam can help. Also make sure your timing is set to spec.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use medium grade Shell or Exxon. How much Berrymans would you add to 10 gallons of gas? What does that do--clean the carb?

srrwood

Cadet

I have the exact same problem going on. Did you ever fix it? What was the trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.