Roadkill for dinner tonight

gaugeguy

Captain
Driving into work this morning and I see a flock of turkeys standing on the snowbank getting ready to cross the road. I put on my blinker and pull over to watch them. They walk in front of my truck and as I am watching them a car zooms by on my left and takes out one of them. The car pulls over and I get out of my truck. The turkey is flopping pretty good. The old lady that was driving the car is pretty upset, asking me if it is dead. I say "it will be in a second" and I dispatch the bird. I hold it up and ask her if she wants it, she says "no" and gets in her car and drives off. Bird is in my truck, nice 14 pound jake that will make a couple tasty turkey pot-pies ;)

ndemge

Commander
Re: Roadkill for dinner tonight

I keep hoping I'll hit a deer while in the 1ton... free meat :) <br /><br />...it's still accidental even if I swerve to the other lane right?

Carphunter

Commander

Don't ya think a truck is overkill for a jake? Coulda dispatched him with a moped. :D <br /><br />You just had to fill your tag before me, didn't ya! ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Don't ya think a truck is overkill for a jake? Coulda dispatched him with a moped. :D <br /><br />You just had to fill your tag before me, didn't ya! ;)
You think there is a future in a "guided road-hunt" for me Carp, maybe you could talk to those Mossy Oak boys about it :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

gotta love it!! might want to gut and skin it right away to clean up the "bloodshot" meat .. might save a little that way and keep it from 'fermenting' inside.. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> gotta love it!! might want to gut and skin it right away to clean up the "bloodshot" meat .. might save a little that way and keep it from 'fermenting' inside.. :D
That's one of the good things about living here, there is a foot of snow in the back of my truck, so he's on ice until I get home to breast him out.

Carphunter

Commander

Hey GG, you gotta figure theres a market for guided roadkill turkey hunts somewhere.<br /><br />I'm sure Tylerin would give his blue hat for a guided Gerbil hunt. Just don't kill 'em though, he likes 'em fresh. :eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can see this turkey story is going downhill fast.<br /><br />I sure hope tylerin is ok with all the rain they have had out there. Man I seen some of that on TV and it's bad.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

tyerlein's fine...like the rest of us. Over here we have mountians, and the water just goes to the lower part, (the ocean) and its pretty close to the mountians. We also had freeways, now their rivers and streams. It's great! feel like im in Oregon. There's a pond at the jobsite, noiw 8 weeks old, I saw a mallard hen makin a nest just this morning.<br /><br />34" in LA to date! a 100 year record! Glad I don't cut grass! <br /><br />all of uor cacti will probably die now...sl

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> I can see this turkey story is going downhill fast.<br /><br />I sure hope tylerin is ok with all the rain they have had out there. Man I seen some of that on TV and it's bad.
Talked with him this morning, he is high and dry ;)

KaGee

Admiral

Oh.... the topic was Wild Turkey hunts wasn't it??<br /><br />
big_101.gif

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br />
GG said:<br />Talked to him this morning.
Would that be called "pillow talk". :D
Just because you are gonna be a big film star I'll let you get away with that one ;) <br /><br />It's cool having redneck friends. All the ladies here at work are mortified that I am going to eat that bird :D

Carphunter

Commander

I've always been a film star, don't you remember the guy from the movie, "Debbie does........" ....................Just forget it. :p <br /><br />If I didn't have redneck friends, then I wouldn't have any. ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

I heard squealing tires one night on the road up behind the house, a thump and the sound of glass breaking while putting the garbage out, I walked up to see what was going on or if there was something I could do. When I got up there, there was a forked horn buck dead in the road. He was hit on the front sholders, so I just drug him down the road aways, gutted it, and then drug him to the house and hung him in the shed and skinned it. Only thing that was still good was the back strap, the hind quarters and one shoulder. Quartered it and put it in a small fridge and cut it up the next night. Illegal, "You bet", Waisted, "Nope".