road trip from hades!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
since no category for stupid human road trips,<br />figured I'd confess here...<br /><br />u may remember I sold old yeller awhile back so<br />I could upgrade to a lk. ontario worthy boat.<br />thanks to an Iboats member (chinewalker), I found<br />the exact boat I thought best fitted MY needs...<br />a 22' AL starcraft Islander with roomy cuddy. :) <br />NADA listed weight was 1450lbs and ol' yeller was<br />real close to that even though she's only 16'.<br />hull, weighed 1050lbs and 115 merc was about 300.<br />so was used to towing about roughly same amount<br />v. comfotably with my '90 deville. no worries :) <br />new/old boat is about 6hrs away in NJ. hit the<br />road at about 5:30am and make great time until<br />I run into all them BMW yuppies in philly area.<br />trip down was piece of cake and with cruise set<br />at 70, avg. 24mpg even! :) <br /><br />trip home was another matter alltogether :rolleyes: <br /><br />new trailering lessons learned or things I didn't<br />consider but should have...<br /><br />always consider "drag" in towing equation. (tall boat)<br />look at topography (big arsh hills!!!) on trips.<br />never let anybody talk u outa renting a full size<br />p/u for the day!<br />pulled in drive at 1:30 a.m. white knuckles and<br />all... unscathed! whew!!!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: road trip from hades!

Yeah that wind will eat ya alive, I've sure had my share of harrowing roadtrips...Glad to hear I don't get them all. :D