Rivets - Replacement and Size - 18' Mariner

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Let me introduce myself, my name is Wayne(starcrazy) and am relatively new to the forum. I have been looking over the forums like crazy and it has a wealth of knowledge here. I love it.... I resently purchased a 1978 18' Starcraft CC Mariner. I know, I know I need to start posting the rebuilt. I plan on doing that after I get back from Moose & Deer hunting (3 weeks).

I set a goal for myself that I would have the hull stripped and water tight before December. At this point the boat is stripped and I am ready to replace some rivets in the hull. I currently have full access to the tools to replace the rivets the proper way.

My question is, which type rivet do I require. Round Head, Brazier, Modified Brazier or Mushroom Head. Heck sorry, but there are way to many to choose from, lol. Most of the rivets are on the base of the hull(underneath) and a couple are along the water line. I only need to replace 20 +/-, so I think it's worth doing right.

I have contacted a starcraft dealership in Canada, but they didn't have any or now the type to use.

Side note, I have been following Yopper's resto, and have looked at the others.

Again, thanks for your time. Unfortunately, I can't promise anyone that this will be my last question, I am only in the destruction mode at this point, lol.

Thanks again in advance

Wayne

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rivets - Replacement and Size - 18' Mariner

Hey Crazy -

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about specific rivet types - I didn't have any leaky rivets on mine. Are you sure you need to replace the rivets? You may be able to just buck the existing ones to tighten them up, then Gluvit the interior of the hull and be good to go. Maybe you've already ruled out that angle, just checking. Someone else here will be able to give you specifics on rivet types and where to get them. Maybe McMaster-Carr? That's where I got the rivets to put my new floor down, but those are a totally different type of rivet.

Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you to the Starmada and bug you to start a build thread and get some pictures up.

barato2

Commander

Wayne--

welcome to the madhouse. have you considered asking folks at McMaster-Carr or wherever you plan to buy the rivets which ones to use?

would love to see pix of your boat

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi starcrazy, I did some investigation before purchasing rivets for my '72 Holiday. I used universal head rivets that compared "close enough" to the original Starcraft rivets. There are soft rivets and stronger heat treated rivets for structural use. I bought some of each from Aircraft Spruce, but since I had no problem with the heat treated ones (AN470AD-6-7), I never even tried the soft ones. You should buy rivets that extend through the metal 1.5 x the rivet diameter. Aircraft Spruce (Canada) sells small quantities and the right tools at a good price. See my hull repair thread at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=517895 - Grandad

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/hapages/solidalumrivets.php

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Paparoof - Pics coming as soon as I am done deer hunting season, trip is in 2 weeks, look for them after that at some point. I have the pics, just need to add them.

Barato2 - will look into contacting McMaster-Carr - thanks

Grandad - looked at your thread, thanks. Question for you, what did you use to clean your haul. What is waterless hand cleaner, and what type of pads did you use.

thanks again everyone.

Wayne

barato2

Commander

+1 on the rec for Aircraft Spruce. have ordered a bunch of stuff from em, great outfit. you might be able to find aluminum tubing somehwere else a bit cheaper given that i figure the word "aircraft" has to inflate prices some, but their catalog is worth getting and perusing just for the info....like the 2 page primer on different types of aluminum and their uses/strengths/limitations. and given that the technology used to build our boats is essentially WWII aircraft tech adapted to civilian use, they have a lot of useful stuff. think McMaster-Carr or Grainger, but better in terms of fodder for project dreams.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Grandad - looked at your thread, thanks. Question for you, what did you use to clean your haul. What is waterless hand cleaner, and what type of pads did you use.
Wayne
The waterless hand cleaner is the orange scented stuff that most mechanics use for cleaning hands prior to a second wash with soap and water. It cuts the grease and depending on the exact type may contain pumice as an abrasive. Apply it, smear it around and wait a few minutes for it to cut the grime, then use a scrub-pad and some elbow grease. Some people have used such things as oven cleaner, but it may be corrosive and certainly is hard on bare skin. The Gojo that I used is relatively kind to skin. You can get a big bottle at Princess Auto.

http://www.gojo.com/canada/markets/automotive/products.aspx?pscat={27E47B57-1656-4C5C-92E3-BD7FB6839BC5}&Cpn={A5164B46-CC4A-4888-BBC4-FF71A0289623}

http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/por...glJC3NXJH2HPbl&prodID=RWGDPNXX08gs&lang=en_US