river fishing

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I visited a state park in Missouri today that the Meremac river runs through. It has a nice beach and swimming area that the wife and my step daughter could swim and lay out while me and my step son walk down river to fish. We both enjoy the thrill of catching catfish. The problem is I have very little experience fishing on rivers. I assume you look for deep holes, but I don't know how to spot them. There also is a spring fed creek that empties into the river just up river from the beach. Would this be a good spot. I am looking for some advice on how to find a good place on a river to fish. And also should we rig our lines any differently than we do for lake fishing?

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: river fishing

I fish the Ohio River for catfish. I have found that the mouth of a creek is a really good place. At least in my experience there is frequently a dropoff outside the mouth and the catfish lay on the edge looking for careless fish and drifting matter. I am usually in a boat so I anchor above the mouth and let my bait go downstream right outside the mouth. If you are looking for channel cats, they will eat almost anything. Flatheads seem to prefer live bait - bluegill, shad, anything small enough to fit in their mouth. Bullheads don't care either and you see them in lakes a lot. Good luck.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

I fish the Tennessee and Elk rivers. Creek mouths usually hold cats, if there is current flowing and deeper holes this time if year, Also, look for rocky bluffs, rip-rap, or any kind of rocky structure off deep water. The spawn in these parts is usually in May, we fish 4-6 ft deep at that time, but as the water heats up, we go deeper- at or near the bottom. Usually fish a Carolina- rigged gob of redworms, nightcrawlers, or chicken livers. Good luck!

mays

Cadet

I don't know what the regulations are in St. Louis, so you might want to check and see, but I catch lots of cats in crab traps that I bait with cheese mixed with table salt. I think they can taste the salt from a long way off. You might try a gob of this on a hook. I would be supprised if it did not catch em. That might be cheating though. I usually do best with nightcrawlers, and the more the better.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey STL need a fishin buddy im always up for it. Ive got a boat and would not mind goin out fishin for cats or bass. Ive fished the miss alot for cats and i try to find some laydowns or some current,but not a whole lot. Try some of that strike king dynamite, its been working great for me.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Skeeter, We need to hook up. I am not a very good bass fisherman, although I keep trying. I have always been fond of catching Mr. Whiskers, and my step son is too, but I would be willing to fish for anything anywhere. My boat is just a 14 ft semi-v with a 5.5 hp Johnson, don't think I'll take it on the Mississippi. Contact me ibetim70@charter.net I would love to fish the miss.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey i always need another fishing buddy. My bud is going off to the navy so that leaves me haha :-D

Big Ed

Recruit

I live up in the northeast and was buying minnows at $8.00 a dozen for about 4 days then i went to Cabela's bought a ten dollar minnow trap went down to the river baited it threw it in waited about 3 hours sat watching the boats. Pulled it out ...it was empty... Went down river about 2 miles and a mile from the Atlantic and threw it in a small stream sat and fished a little ..pulled it out an hour and was shocked to find 30 minnows in it. Filled the 15 dollar minnow bucket with water ..turned on the battery pump went home put it in the garage and there still find 2 days later. Was told to change 1/2 the water every 2 days and to feed them gold fish food from the pet store. If the water get to warm i have ice in the cooler to keep the pepsi and water cold...i put 4 ice cubes in a sandwich bag seal it and float it in the bucket works good.

Ed