Risers/Manifolds

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of aluminum vs cast iron risers and manifolds? And which ones are less expensive? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Risers/Manifolds

If You're Playing in the Salt,....... And have Raw Water Cooling,...... Stick with Iron........<br /><br />Aluminum will leave you "Holey", Sooner......

tommays

Admiral

aluminum is a bad item for salt water areas in general and it has more problems with gaskets when bolted to cast iron heads<br /><br />tommays

One more question. Can they be replaced while the boat is in the water? Thanks for the quick replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Can they be replaced while the boat is in the water?
That depends on what engine you have, and where the water line is compared to the top of the exhaust Y.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

aluminum manifolds and risers have been lasting upwards of 10 years on the river sleds that i have been working on. trailored boats used 95% in saltwater. all are launched and recovered in saltwater. never flushed except during freezing weather. and then just blown out. these have been nickson log style or kodiak marine and redline center rise. there is no cast iron to aluminum contact in the water passages as in aluminum intake manifolds so very little electrolyses. all have closed cooling on the block and 2 now have the manifolds included too.(as of 2004). those manifolds should last forever. none of these manifolds/risers have died from corrosion. all have been changed for performance upgrades or freeze damage so i can't say how long they would take to rot out. nickson- installed 1982,replaced with kodiak 2001 for performance. kodiak- installed 1992, replaced 2004, freeze cracks. redline installed 1990 and 1992 still in service. several more i don,t recall age of. kodik marine tech told me they dont use gaskets on cast iron head/aluminum exhaust anymore. has worked fine for me 2 seasons. none of the other owners has experienced any problems so far with gaskets failing because of different expansion rates of cast iron and aluminum. this is just what i have seen locally and i haven,t seen it all. can you find manifolds that line up with your current setup? might be a big con...

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

don s., what is the life of castiron manifolds around here? did they see any manifold corrosion problems on that seapro jet?