Riser question 97 Volvo Penta 3.0

Bfanlc

Recruit
Want to preface this by stating I've never owned or worked on a boat before.

Just recently bought a 97 Four Winns with a Volvo Penta 3.0 engine. The boat wasn't taken care of by the PO. It was left outside uncovered etc. Simple repairs or maintenance I doubt was done. The only information I had on the boat is that it wouldn't start.
I could see immediately that the starter solenoid was rusted with some of the wires able to be pulled off. Took the starter off and saw that the housing where the starter was had water in it. Almost to the level of the starter. Unbolted the plate covering and let the water out. Checked the oil and it had water on the dipstick. Unscrewed the oil drain plug and gallons of water poured out. Oddly enough no oil though.
I've read and read about all of the possible issues and causes. So I took the riser off. It had a restrictor plate in between it and the manifold. The riser was also missing a nut. However there didnt appear to be a lot of rust in the exhaust section of the riser. Question 1. is would the missing nut allow the riser to be lose enough to allow water into the engine? Also the engine area is pretty oily. Question 2. Where could all the oil be? Bad rings would allow the oil to be burnt, possible leaks?
I then took the valve cover off and the top of the head didn't look that bad either. Rust in 2 spots. I think whatever the problem is it just recently occurred or there would be more rust.
The pic with one arrow shows where I believe the exhaust/water leak occurred. The pic with multiple arrows is just crud build up from the restrictor plate.
Thoughts Gentlemen?

Attachments

• 20210214_201346.jpg
    20210214_201346.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210214_201353.jpg
    20210214_201353.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210214_211854.jpg
    20210214_211854.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210214_195533.jpg
    20210214_195533.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210214_212447.jpg
    20210214_212447.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 15

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you never owned a boat, yet you bought a neglected boat that doesnt run?

the fact that the motor was full of water means at a minimum, the drive is coming off and the motor is coming out to be put on an engine stand and have the pan come off to see how badly things are

most likely the raw water impeller is gone, the motor was significantly overheated and when you pull the pan you will find a rusty mess and bits of metal that once were bearings.

Bfanlc

Recruit
you never owned a boat, yet you bought a neglected boat that doesnt run?

the fact that the motor was full of water means at a minimum, the drive is coming off and the motor is coming out to be put on an engine stand and have the pan come off to see how badly things are

most likely the raw water impeller is gone, the motor was significantly overheated and when you pull the pan you will find a rusty mess and bits of metal that once were bearings.
Yes is that an issue?

I work on other things, motorcycles, cars, etc. This is a project boat I had no expectation that I was getting a good boat. If I have to rework the engine or replace that's what I'll do.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buying a rotten bayliner for a running 3.0 will get you a complete and running motor for about $300

Bfanlc

Recruit

Water in oil and rear cylinder​

Water in oil and rear cylinder​

Subscribed
First
Page
2 of 2

Last
Go to
Page
Bfanlc , Today 08:04 PM
Just wanted to update my thread. So replaced the starter, fuel pump, and changed the oil. Put a battery on it and it cranked right up. The out drive is in great condition, no issues. Tilt and trim work. The boat is fiberglass including the floor so no rot. The gas in the tank is still gas with no water in it and engine cranks every time. We had to change the oil multiple times to get all of the water out but now there is no water getting into the oil. Apparently the riser missing nut was the issue.

Now for the bad news. When we cranked the motor we heard a rod knocking so we decided to buy an engine and rebuild the old one. We'll keep it for a spare. We installed the motor and it runs perfect.

The boat was trimmed in green, the carpet was green and I don't like green on a boat. So we removed the vinyl on the boat, bought Navy blue vinyl and had a guy put the vinyl on the boat. He also put the vinyl on the gauge board. Painted the carpet Navy blue with fabric paint. Painted other trim Navy blue. Trailer was green so we painted it blue as well. Boat now looks amazing and runs great. Just waiting on the upholstery.

Put a lot of time into it, it's been a fun project.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Congrats on sticking with it, getting a new engine installed and getting it running. Post some pics so we can see what you've done. What type of marine engine did you install?
If you didn't replace the risers with that new engine you need to- based on the photos the cooling passageways are very obstructed.